Sppedwell/Hampton Furnace

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
jokerman said:
Guy, the aroow is pointing to a spot next to Glossy Spung. You can see the road next to it. The clearing to the upper right in the military base and the road going along the top of the picture is Tuckerton Road, right after it splits from Carranza.

Ok I see where you mean. That is not a military base it is a juvenile facility for boys. That may have caused some of the confusion on my part. I will get there next weekend and check it out. Probably Sunday.

Here it is on topozone.com. It is about 39.46.53N 74.40.18W

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4403339&e=528127&s=25

Here is is on terraserver:
http://terraserver-usa.org/image.aspx?t=2&s=12&x=660&y=5504&z=18&w=1

Just a guess I would say it was from the cranberry operations that occured there long after the furnace was in operation and probably around Beck's time or so. Just a guess.

Ed, if you get there before this weekend post back and tell me what you found.

Guy

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Just look for a little area where it looks like people pull over. It's right before this spot and after a turn that I believe only goes to the right. This is all if you're coming from Tuckerton Road. Let me know if you may know when you might be there and I may be able to meet you and pinpoint it.
Tom

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Saturday is our canoe and kayak outing so I will be tied up all day. Sunday is open if my family does not have plans. If they do not, and I go there it will probably be around 10AM or so. I will not know until Saturday night or Sunday morning probably.

Guy

jokerman said:
Just look for a little area where it looks like people pull over. It's right before this spot and after a turn that I believe only goes to the right. This is all if you're coming from Tuckerton Road. Let me know if you may know when you might be there and I may be able to meet you and pinpoint it.
Tom

Tom,
I believe what you are decribing is this road/bridge:

aah.sized.jpg

This pix was taken last Fall. The planks of the bridge, if we can call it that, were not covered with water. I have been there a couple of times when it was. Even when it's not covered the water is right at the bottom of the planks. The pix is a bit deceiving. I was standing at about a 10 to 12 ft elevation above the bridge. The other side is just as high.

Steve

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Yes! The embankment on the left side of the pic seems very familiar and there could only be so many bridges like this one. If you walk to the left of the pic along the roadway you will see what I am talking about. Make sure to go all the way to the place where the stream makes a tight turn. That's where I believe the bigger structure was. I'd be interested in your analysis of the spot. Smaller suspected foundations are apparenet closer to the bridged road in the pic. Good luck and enjoy your outing and let me know if you might make it and I'll steer my outings in that direction if I am also able.
Tom

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
jokerman said:
Yes! The embankment on the left side of the pic seems very familiar and there could only be so many bridges like this one. If you walk to the left of the pic along the roadway you will see what I am talking about. Make sure to go all the way to the place where the stream makes a tight turn. That's where I believe the bigger structure was. I'd be interested in your analysis of the spot. Smaller suspected foundations are apparenet closer to the bridged road in the pic. Good luck and enjoy your outing and let me know if you might make it and I'll steer my outings in that direction if I am also able.
Tom
Tom,

It appears I will not be able to look for this location on Sunday. I will try to get there next weekend if I can. I actually went down Carranza road today and went right by it twice on my way to kayak, but I did not have time to stop.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Tom,

I was down near Long Beach Island today and on my way back I was able to spend 5 minutes at the place we are discussing here.

IMG_2449.jpg

Where are the foundations you are talking about in relation to the bridge in the photo? I was not able to explore because of time limitations, but for the few minutes I spent there I saw nothing.

Guy

jokerman said:
.......If you walk to the left of the pic along the roadway you will see what I am talking about. Make sure to go all the way to the place where the stream makes a tight turn. That's where I believe the bigger structure was......
Tom

Are you saying to cross the bridge and walk to the 'T' intersection and make a left? How far from this shot were the structures?

Steve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes I saw them also, but they could have been formed by water flow so I did not even consider them. I was there between 11 and 11:30. I parked right there and walked across the bridge and walked back. Then I left.

When we hear back from Tom maybe we will have a better idea on where to look. I will go back again if he gives us that info.

BTW how does the sticker look on your window? Any photo's.

Guy

TeeGate said:
BTW how does the sticker look on your window? Any photo's.

Guy

Looks great! Sorry I haven't posted a pix. I'll put one up soon. I spent all last weekend compounding and waxing the 'Piney Stripes' out of my Escape os we took my buddies Darango. We were there around 11:30 also. I guess we just missed each other. Did you see the Land Rover group?

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
The area of interest is to the left of the photo, before the bridge. You would need to walk from the road in the photo into the woods on the left...and keep walking. There are one or two small cellar holes near the intersection of the bridge road and Glossy Spung. There IS a significant cellar hole/foundation further down (south) Glossy Spung on the right. I'm sorry for those who are resigned that there is nothing there. It doesn't seem like anyone really took/had the time to do any real exploration of the area (obviously for good reason in at least one case). One person seemed to have got out of their car, walked to the bridge area, and back to their car, and is saying there is nothing to see. The bridge is close to the area but you would only be able to see the small holes from that road, and only if you looked verycarefully into the woods. I was out there with several people who were looking at them with me and were all convinced there was a significant sized building where I described. Why else would pieces of rubble be observed along the length of the suspected foundation. Beter luck looking in the future. I will take pics next time I go there and post them.
Tom

jokerman said:
....It doesn't seem like anyone really took/had the time to do any real exploration of the area (obviously for good reason in at least one case). One person seemed to have got out of their car, walked to the bridge area, and back to their car, and is saying there is nothing to see. ....
Tom

Tom, I don't think Guy said there was nothing to see, he said he didn't see anything. There is a big difference. I didn't spend a lot of time there because I also had another agenda. I walked the area to the left of the bridge between Glossy Spung and the bridge. I did see some depressions but saw no foundation rubble. That doesn't mean it's not there. The depessions I saw were rather irregular so I'm not sure they were cellar holes. I go to that area often and will spend some more time there next time. In the mean time, it would be nice if you could post some pix.

Steve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
jokerman said:
The area of interest is to the left of the photo, before the bridge. You would need to walk from the road in the photo into the woods on the left...and keep walking. There are one or two small cellar holes near the intersection of the bridge road and Glossy Spung. There IS a significant cellar hole/foundation further down (south) Glossy Spung on the right. I'm sorry for those who are resigned that there is nothing there. It doesn't seem like anyone really took/had the time to do any real exploration of the area (obviously for good reason in at least one case). One person seemed to have got out of their car, walked to the bridge area, and back to their car, and is saying there is nothing to see. The bridge is close to the area but you would only be able to see the small holes from that road, and only if you looked verycarefully into the woods. I was out there with several people who were looking at them with me and were all convinced there was a significant sized building where I described. Why else would pieces of rubble be observed along the length of the suspected foundation. Beter luck looking in the future. I will take pics next time I go there and post them.
Tom

Tom,

As Steve mentioned I only was there 5 minutes and didn't see anything because I had limited time to search there, so I just walked across the bridge and walked back. I had just driven almost to the shore and within a half hour I was driving back home and had been in my car almost 3 hours. I deviated from my route to find the place and head on. The next time I go I will look more closely. I am sorry if it seemed that I did not believe you, but the next time you go there see how much exploring you can do in 5 minutes. That is all I had.

Guy

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Guy, after reading all the responses, I forgot who said they walked down and back. I realized even before you went that you were just going to be passing by because of time constraints. I try to push stuff in after work and I live in Monmouth County, so I sometimes only have a short time frame when I go. It seemed that a bunch of people went there and were writing back saying that there were only drainage pathways. I got a little defensive because I don't want anyone to think I'm leading them (this should sound as old as the foundations)..on a wild goose chase.
The suspected foundation is grown over with the typical moss and is hard to spot. I do site inspections for a living and have a good eye for finding what's usually looked over. I of course had more time on my hands than you did yesterday, so I'm sure you'll get to see what I'm talking about.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
jokerman said:
Guy, after reading all the responses, I forgot who said they walked down and back. I realized even before you went that you were just going to be passing by because of time constraints. I try to push stuff in after work and I live in Monmouth County, so I sometimes only have a short time frame when I go. It seemed that a bunch of people went there and were writing back saying that there were only drainage pathways. I got a little defensive because I don't want anyone to think I'm leading them (this should sound as old as the foundations)..on a wild goose chase.
The suspected foundation is grown over with the typical moss and is hard to spot. I do site inspections for a living and have a good eye for finding what's usually looked over. I of course had more time on my hands than you did yesterday, so I'm sure you'll get to see what I'm talking about.

No offence taken. i will be there again soon and spend more time.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I visited the site this morning and spent almost 45 minutes there and here is my opinion on what I saw.

First I parked my car at the intersection just before the bridge, exited my car and faced the bridge. I then proceeded to walk left as was mentioned in jokermans letter. BTW I had printed them out and had them with me. My daughter and I walked the complete area to the left from Glossy Sprung Road to the water and we walked all the way to the opposite side of the turn around area mentioned in a previous post. So basically we covered all of the area to just past the turn around.

I took photo's along the way as I came to depressions in the ground and found nothing out of the ordinary. We then crossed the bridge following the road to the left and walked a short distance down there before returning. After doing this my daughter and I came to the same conclusion as follows.

This area as we all know was a cranberry area in the time leading up to and during Beck's visits. They were bogs which were flooded and worked to remove cranberries. If you look at the bridge on the right side you will notice the remains of the lock that was used to flood the bogs.

IMG_2454.JPG

The dirt road that goes across the bridge was between the bogs and over time has wore away from erosion. But when in use someone would raise the lock and the water would flow into the area on the left flooding it. That area would flood up to and maybe across the road and having a building there seems like something not likely because of that. The reason why the road is wore out there is that sometime in the past the lock was damaged by a flood and the water rushing through during heavy storms and rainfall washed the dirt of the road away. That is why the road is now only intact on the sides where there was vegetation on the top to keep the complete hill from washing away.

Also, we did not find any evidence of rubble except pieces of fence piled up with a small amount of trash with it. There was no evidence of brick or cement to be found.

IMG_2455.JPG

We did find the depression that was mentioned and looked it over closely.

IMG_2456.JPG

IMG_2458.JPG

The second photo shows the hill on the side of the depression that is closest to the water. Some may find this hard to believe, but I believe this was dug out by the state to make sure that the water in the river after rainy seasons did not flood the road. If you were in that area in the 70's it is completely different than it is today and the water would flood that complete area. The state routinely digs out area's like that for water to run off the road and have a place to go. We do not have the rainfall and the water table today we did years ago, so the water seems tame and normal to be that low, but it wasn't in the past. The depression goes right up to the road which would have allowed the road to drain. There is little need for that anymore so it has grown over. The side of the depression is also built up along the waters edge to keep it from overflowing. You can see that in the second depression photo.

So basically I don't believe they were foundations, just area's where water laid or was drained to in the past. Some of the little depressions near the bridge could have been formed as the water rushed into that area when the locks were opened. Can you picture the water level rising and the swirling water moving along the edges of the hill and moving the dirt along?

If anyone has a different point of view I would welcome and appreciate it, but until then I would have to conclude the area in question is void of foundation remains.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

Guy,
We didn't stop there yesterday, but took the Speedwell Friendship road to Carranza. Along the way there is a nice little pile of junk someone dumped (on the Speedwell road)--a propane tank, a kerosene heater, a gasoline canister...I wish I had had a pickup, or room in the jeep, I would have disposed of them. Maybe I'll head up there tomorrow and clean it up--but where would I get rid of them?
Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bach2yoga said:
Guy,
We didn't stop there yesterday, but took the Speedwell Friendship road to Carranza. Along the way there is a nice little pile of junk someone dumped (on the Speedwell road)--a propane tank, a kerosene heater, a gasoline canister...I wish I had had a pickup, or room in the jeep, I would have disposed of them. Maybe I'll head up there tomorrow and clean it up--but where would I get rid of them?
Renee

Renee,

I saw them when I went by on my way past Friendship to Carranza. It was about 10:00 AM. There is a gerry can there that looked in perfect shape and if I still had my Land Cruiser I would have taken it. But my daughter and I came to the conclusion that they must have fell off of a vehicle that was on the road and the driver did not know it. They were in the road and it appears that the next vehicle that went by just moved them out of the way and continued on because the gerry can was standing up. I don't have the room in my car to put the stuff or I would have taken it all. It also appeared that there may have been gas in the gerry can so be careful.

They may have trash containers on the road across from Carranza Memorial for the campers. You may have to drive back there first and check before you pick the stuff up. Plus maybe someone has already cleaned it up.

Guy

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Guy,
I went back there today to reinspect and have to sa that I agree that I was most likely mistaken. I saw pieces of masonry along those walls and thought there was more underneath, but when I dug I found that there was only fill-type sand beneath. I guess the rubble is from elsewhere. I can also see that the walls WERE most likely drainage-based, I felt really bad since a bunch of people went out there looking at this stuff. I'm usually pretty accurate, but wasn't, I believe, this time. I'll be sure to be more certain in the future.

BTW, I went looking for the old Atsion train station today and wasn't able to locate it. I know I have some literature that says it was standing (as of 1977, I believe) and is/was being used for cranberry processing. I used the pamphlet from the Atsion store that marks it and an old hotel near the area where the Atco rail spur meets the Central line. I'm pretty sure I found the old Atco pathway, but there was only an area being used as a small dump near the junction. Just wanted to see if anyone knows the status of the station, whether or not it still exists.