Sppedwell/Hampton Furnace

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Don't feel bad. I can't name how many times I have been wrong on my assessments.

The rail line to Atco still has some ties along it. You can get to the road easily by crossing the plastic bridge near Goshen Pond and when you come to the first main long straight road to the right, that is the bed of the old line. You can go left for a while but then it thins to a path. I would link to topozone.com but for some reason they are down tonight

No evidence of the station at Atsion exists as far as I know.

Guy

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
I found the path by going into the rec area across 206 where the old line is obvious and being used as a service road. I followed the path of it and could see the path on the eastern side of 206 and could follow it to the central line. My sockss got COVERED with the smallest ticks I have ever seen! I had to leave them there and head for home and the shower.

I just found the book that talked about it. It says that the old RR station is present in a farm field located several miles away. The book is from the 50's. If the fate of this bldg. is anything like the rest, it very well may be lost. You'd think they could have bought it from the property owner and restored it. The pics in the pamphlet of people sitting at that station are great!
Tom