Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Whatever works!

watermark.php

TrailOtter

Explorer
Nov 24, 2007
Hope that isn't positioned over a patch of poison ivy :v: convienient tho - you can do your business and pick blueberries at the same time :D

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I wrote the man at the website that Trailhead found, and he says they are WPA outhouses. The men were put to work building them during the time the WPA was in operation.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That would seem logical, except for the angles the boxes are in reference to the slab and why would there be 2 in close proximity behond my field. I will try to snap some photos tomorrow, I don't think they're 20 feet apart.
Tom

BTW, the reason there are two in close proximity is one for men and one for woman.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks for the photo's. They appear to be the same as the others with the cement slab flush with the ground.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I actually had the chance to show these to my father recently.
He confirmed what I thought. Back in the Sawmill thread there was some dialogue on other types of things found. I had posted about a 2 hole outhouse still on the Fleming Pike property my family purchased in 1949. He confirmed these were exactly the same bases and they used the outhouses a bit until bees became an issue and my father pulled them down. He said he pulled the bases to the back end of the property in the woods with a tractor. I shall look for them when next I am out that way but there is some other stuff too so I hope I find them.
They were built of the WPA effort and the family that had them prior paid
$10.00 for the 2 holer.

g.

whitingrider

Explorer
Jun 28, 2007
Whiting
Guy, They're exactly the same. I just don't know why there would be two that close together unless they were brought from somewhere else and this is their final resting place.
Hope your tick bite is healing. I thought you were kidding Sunday.
Tom

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, They're exactly the same. I just don't know why there would be two that close together unless they were brought from somewhere else and this is their final resting place.
Hope your tick bite is healing. I thought you were kidding Sunday.
Tom

One for male and one for female. Thats what the man at that outhouse website told me.

I was wasn't kidding. Because it was this time of year I did not check myself well, and paid the price for it.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I was wasn't kidding. Because it was this time of year I did not check myself well, and paid the price for it.
Guy

I continue to be amazed at that. Like I said Sunday... must be you.
Just kiddin'. The ticks on you did have me checking Sam over and my wife had him in the shower promptly as well. I just shed my clothes outside, gave 'em a shake looked me over & changed. They seem to have decided winter is not an issue. If us, such a fragile species can handle it, why not them?

G.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Here it is January and we're talking ticks and chiggers. Don't those little buggers ever take a break? I'm hiking tomorrow (day off work) and I'm thinking about getting out the permithrin.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Chiggers

I was a land surveyor in NJ from '83 until '00 and only had chiggers once and I spent a lot of time in the woods doing wetlands delineations. I moved to Western KY and had them more than once a season (spring to fall) every year. I moved back to NJ and the first trip I take into the pines (Harrisville) and my buddy gets them. I think I would have gotten them but since I have one prosthetic leg, they obviously picked the wrong leg to attack!:dance: Lucky me.
We definitely need a good long hard freeze to cut them back. The climate, it's a changin!
One question to put me back on the original topic: How old are those concrete privies?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was a land surveyor in NJ from '83 until '00 and only had chiggers once and I spent a lot of time in the woods doing wetlands delineations. I moved to Western KY and had them more than once a season (spring to fall) every year. I moved back to NJ and the first trip I take into the pines (Harrisville) and my buddy gets them. I think I would have gotten them but since I have one prosthetic leg, they obviously picked the wrong leg to attack!:dance: Lucky me.
We definitely need a good long hard freeze to cut them back. The climate, it's a changin!
One question to put me back on the original topic: How old are those concrete privies?

They were made by the Civilian Conservation Corp which was established on March 19, 1933 by FDR, and after WW2 Congress stopped funding it which caused it to end. So 1933 to 1946.

Guy