Square concrete boxes

whitingrider

Explorer
Jun 28, 2007
Whiting
I saw one of Ben's pictures:
I have seen one of these boxes at Whitesbog and I have a couple behind an abandoned blueberry farm behind me. They are all made of poured concrete and all sit on concrete slabs. The edges appear to be beveled at the corners.
Does anyone know what these are?
Tom

Attachments

• aab.jpg
    aab.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 277
Oct 25, 2006
I saw one of Ben's pictures:
I have seen one of these boxes at Whitesbog and I have a couple behind an abandoned blueberry farm behind me. They are all made of poured concrete and all sit on concrete slabs. The edges appear to be beveled at the corners.
Does anyone know what these are?
Tom

Tom

Can't help you on this one.

Jim

whitingrider

Explorer
Jun 28, 2007
Whiting
Not probable without drainage. Another thing is they are mounted at the same angle on the slab. I'm posting the picture of the one I took at Whitesbogin the member gallery because it's too big.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
How big is the box? My guess would be that it was a base for a wooden support column. There are a number of concrete pads with holes in them at Belco, and they appear to be the bases from some kind of wood or steel support columns which held up the floor or the roof of a building.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Whitingrider,

Sorry to say but onehand is correct. It is exactly what he felt it may be. Here is proof from another location that used it as described. There is no need for drainage with an outhouse.

cement.JPG

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Wow, add 4 walls, a roof and a door with a half-moon and you're got an outhouse :dance:

Aren't you glad you don't have to use that cold piece of cement all the time :) Life is good!

Guy

whitingrider

Explorer
Jun 28, 2007
Whiting
That would seem logical, except for the angles the boxes are in reference to the slab and why would there be 2 in close proximity behond my field. I will try to snap some photos tomorrow, I don't think they're 20 feet apart.
Tom

lgench

Explorer
Jan 19, 2005
Bristol, PA
Growing up in the farmland of Bucks County, PA in the forties, I used many different outhouses. They went from one holers to four holers, depending on the size of the house. They all sat atop a deep pit and lime was used to...well, you know. And yes, the old Sears catalogs, before the shiny, color pages came along, were a staple in all of them. Plus corncobs!
Len

whitingrider

Explorer
Jun 28, 2007
Whiting
Thanks for that, Sir.
I went back today to get my pictures, but there was a active deer drive going on. I usually stay out of the woods during shotgun deer season.
Tom

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I suspect that there was someone years ago who produced them and sold them to gun clubs and such. They either made them at one location and transported, or assembled them on the spot. I would also think that the reason why the top portion is on an angle is so that you have more room when sitting on it. Picture yourself on that with it not being on an angle. Your knees would be knocking :) Beveled corners are usually used to guarantee things sit flush, but it appears they were able to get the corners quite square rendering that though useless. It may have allowed them to slide the wooden seat fixture over the top, and it hooked in place on the beveled portion keeping the seat secure.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Now we need to find more of them in the pines.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Now the gun clubs are getting more advanced. They switched to PVC.

pipe.JPG

pipe2.JPG

Guy