Squirrel eating pizza

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
How does He do it?
Honestly, I'm not sure. I was eating my lunch outside watching and I never saw him climb up. I chased him off a few times, but it seems like he waited until I was inside or out of sight before climbing back up. I suspect he just climbs up the slinky. Only the bottom moves a lot, higher up it moves less and he is probably able to hold on and just climb right up.

Reactions: manumuskin

h2ochild

Scout
Nov 24, 2010
Bass River Township
My family knows of my ongoing war with the bushy tailed rodents at the feeders. So much so that, birthdays,Christmas, Father's day gifts all include squirrel related stuff,T shirts, solar squirrels etc.... Last year I received a copy of Outwitting Squirrels by Bill Adler JR (Chicagoreviewpress.com). It is hysterically funny with anecdotal stories, actual birdfeeder reviews, the life history of the critters, and strategies to outwit them. The final Chapter: Quitting..

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
We cannot let the Squirrel Nation win!!! They are all nutz!!

142121824.jpg

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
Honestly, I'm not sure. I was eating my lunch outside watching and I never saw him climb up. I chased him off a few times, but it seems like he waited until I was inside or out of sight before climbing back up. I suspect he just climbs up the slinky. Only the bottom moves a lot, higher up it moves less and he is probably able to hold on and just climb right up.

Like this:

The action starts at 1:45.

Reactions: h2ochild and John

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
I've now seen 'my' squirrel do it. He's really fast, but I think he is climbing the slinky and not touching the pole. He seems to start up the pole, then jump up and grab the slinky partway up where it doesn't move that much, and then he just climbs up the slinky. In the video posted above, that one seems to grab the pole through the slinky.

One person who saw the slinky setup said the way to stop squirrels raiding the bird feeder is to set up a corn feeder for the squirrels. That idea didn't go down well with the people paying for it. Another suggestion was one of those cone-shaped predator guards on the pole, and keep it greased.

I read somewhere that adding cayenne pepper to the bird seed will keep squirrels away. Tried it. Made me sneeze a lot, and didn't keep the squirrels away for long.

Reactions: h2ochild

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Maybe I'm just lucky but I have my feeder hanging off a tree limb from a 1/16" steel cable about 5' long and the A frame roof covered with aluminum flashing. I put the flashing on for weatherproofing the wood, think it's the lack of grip on the cable that's a deterrent.

Reactions: h2ochild