Stargazers Pit

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
So I would guess going with Boyd's map guideline, the Red Pit is on Haines property, or at least it is not in Penn right?

the red pit has always been posted. I believe it is Haines or now NJCF.
we always called it the red pit because it is filled with red sand like on nearby red road (stephens road)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Ha... now I realize I have been to that place. It is just down the road from the Nature Conservancy property where they tore down the cabin on the lake (we used to call it "TNC House" here a few years ago). It has been several years since I went there, and there was a lot of trash laying around. It was definitely posted. I don't think Penn State Forest goes that far.

As I said, I will post a map that shows which areas are public space in that vicinity when I am home later this evening.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Ha... now I realize I have been to that place. It is just down the road from the Nature Conservancy property where they tore down the cabin on the lake (we used to call it "TNC House" here a few years ago). It has been several years since I went there, and there was a lot of trash laying around. It was definitely posted. I don't think Penn State Forest goes that far.

As I said, I will post a map that shows which areas are public space in that vicinity when I am home later this evening.

Yes that is right. I actually meant Nature conservancy, not NJCF. I suppose it is probably Haines though.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Here you go; this is the data I have on NJ open space boundaries (shown in green). I can't find the Nature Conservancy property there unfortunately, but I don't think the red pit is part of it. As always, do not take this as gospel about what is public and private. If you have any doubts, please do your own research!

plains_openspace1.png

plains_openspace2.png

plains_openspace3.png

ZZ3GMC

Scout
Sep 19, 2003
Pemberton
Visit site
The pit that Im reffering to is at the corner of Sooy and Lost Lane Rd. Coming from 72 you would make a left onto Lost Lane, pit is on the left and is Haines property. That has always been known to me as Telescope pit. The sandy, flat pit across from it is state property

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Maybe I can clear up some confusion.
The pit off Lost Lane rd and closest to Sooy rd on the North side aka Stargazer or telescope is private property, Haines.
The pit about a 1/4 mile to the East has other names but is Spring Hill. This is State property but until 6 or 7 years ago was thought to be Haines.
The red pit off Long Causeway is Conversation property and was also thought to be Haines.
For tax purposes Haines re-surveyed his property and cut new property boundary lines and posted his side. In effect the old survey cuts are quite a bit off. The new boundary lines which changed everything are moved approximately 600' to the North and 300' to the West.

The old boundary lines shown on maps are outdated and wrong. If you look closely at the older satellite imagery of a few years ago you can make out the new property lines. These are the correct ones. The Conservation people have posted their property based on the old lines and they are incorrect and in fact on Haines property. Somebody should inform them. There is a rectangle of Penn State that crosses Brownies Rd and ends approx 600' in where it abuts Conservation property that extends across Causeway rd through the red pit and into the swamp. There is no boundary line between the Penn State and Conservation property but both are defined by Haines new boundary lines.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Thanks for posting that link Al - very interesting. Gives a little different meaning to "red states" and "blue states". :)

The open space map I posted is based on this data: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/gis/digidownload/metadata/statewide/newstate.htm

Abstract:

This data set contains protected open space and recreation areas owned in fee simple interest by the State of New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP). Types of property in this data layer include parcels such as parks, forests, historic sites, natural areas and wildlife management areas. The data was derived from a variety of source maps including tax maps, surveys and even hand-drafted boundary lines on USGS topographic maps. These source materials vary in scale and level of accuracy. Due to the varied mapped sources and methods of data capture, this data set is limited in its ability to portray all open space lands accurately, particularly the parcels purchased prior to 1991.

Current Mapping Methodologies:

Since 1995, the bulk of open space acquisitions are entered into the GIS using a certified survey of the properties boundaries; ArcInfo facilitates the incorporation of surveys. Much effort is made to enter data within a year of the purchase. Tax map lines are utilized only if a survey does not exist or if internal lot lines were not drawn in the survey.

Survey lines: When surveys are available, CAD files of the parcel are entered into the ARCINFO polygon coverage version of NEWSTATE. Nad83 or Nad27 NJSPC certified surveys are the best available sources with regard to shape and positional accuracy. Non-NJSPC certified surveys provide the best parcel shape but not position. They are repositioned to fit the features present on the on-screen image (2002 imagery). If interior lot lines are omitted on either type of survey, then tax map lot lines are added using the "best fit" method mentioned above.
Tax map lines: The appropriate pages from a current tax book are scanned, saved as tiff files and brought into the GIS and rectified using an ARCINFO/ArcMap program and 2002 digital imagery. Only the property lines that compose the acquisition are digitized on screen and added to the coverage.