Steve Jobs Dead

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We went to buy Jessica her iPad tonight and were on TV. Did anyone see us on Channel 10 around 4:30 or so? My mother-in-law called us a few minutes later and told us she did. I had called my mom to tell her we would be and she switched channels and missed us. :bang:

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Nice. I heard that not many places were sold out, there were lots of reports that Best Buy had plenty and no lines - the reporter in that story even mentioned it. When I got my MacBook Air a few weeks ago, I went to Best Buy instead of the Apple Store. It was about $100 cheaper and they had a promotion that gave me triple reward points. I guess they wouldn't discount the new iPad, but if I wanted one (which I don't), I would also have gone to Best Buy since I would get the rewards points there.

Back on topic (Steve Jobs), I thought this was interesting...

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/03/16/im-in-trouble-says-wozs-wife/?source=yahoo_quote

Wozniak spoke -- rapidly and with infectious enthusiasm -- for about an hour on the last day of the first Apple Investor Summit. Among the revelations (at least to me):

• That although Steve Jobs' adoptive family was a great and loving one, "somehow Steve didn't like his family at all, and couldn't wait to get away."

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I bought a chain saw at Home Depot last year, and right after they rang me up (while I was still at the register) I noticed the box was open so I looked inside to see if anything was missing. Lucky for me - there was a cheaper model saw inside that box. I'm sure somebody scammed them and switched boxes to get the expensive model for less. They refunded my money right on the spot, but that's only because I was still there at the register... would have been a tough sell to get them to believe me if I didn't notice until after I got home.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No, it did not look like that. :)

I hear there are rumors that when you use dictation it is sent to Apple. I can't believe that.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
It's not just a rumor:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/new-i...ndsstores-private-data-to-apple-servers/71841
http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/...ads-dictation-sends-info-apple-servers-485609

As the article says, and others have confirmed, you must agree to this when you turn on the dictation feature.

enable-dictation-dialogue-box-smc.png

And if you tap the "About Dictation and Privacy" link on the settings page, it says

[T]he things you dictate will be recorded and sent to Apple to convert what you say into text. Your device will also send Apple other information, such as your first name and nickname; the names, nicknames, and relationship with you (e.g., “my dad”) of your address book contacts; and song names in your collection (collectively, your “User Data”). All of this data is used to help the dictation feature understand you better and recognize what you say. It is not linked to other data that Apple may have from your use of other Apple services.
…​
If you turn off Dictation, Apple will delete your User Data, as well as your recent voice input data. Older voice input data that has been disassociated from you may be retained for a period of time to generally improve Dictation and other Apple products and services. This voice input data may include audio files and transcripts of what you said and related diagnostic data, such as hardware and operating system specifications and performance statistics.​
This kind of stuff is why I have misgivings about all the current "cloud mania" where companies (like Apple) want you to entrust all of your private data to them.​

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Fortunately, Jessica does not use her iPad for anything other than recreational use, so anything she says will not be critical anyway.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
This kind of stuff is why I have misgivings about all the current "cloud mania" where companies (like Apple) want you to entrust all of your private data to them.

Yeppers to that. Reminds me of 'We're from the government, and we're here to help you.' :eek:

The internet was, and continues to be, a very dangerous place to play.

Or work.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I think the specific issue with dictation is that the iPad itself lacks the processing power to do high quality voice recognition. So your speech is digitized and sent to Apple's servers where it is converted to words and sent back to the iPad. As I understand, this feature only works when connected to the internet for these reasons. So, as long as Apple has all of your data anyway, they want to be able to use it for "other things" as well. ;)

I don't know, there's probably a pretty low risk with this. At least there will be until some hacker breaks into their systems and starts looking for passwords, bank accounts and credit card numbers.

OK... back on topic:

Steve Jobs is dead. If you had any doubts about this before, then this should put them to rest, because Apple paying a dividend to shareholders was one of those things that he would only allow "over his dead body"... http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/19/technology/apple-dividend/index.htm

It's sure a different company with Tim Cook as CEO.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I think the specific issue with dictation is that the iPad itself lacks the processing power to do high quality voice recognition. So your speech is digitized and sent to Apple's servers where it is converted to words and sent back to the iPad. As I understand, this feature only works when connected to the internet for these reasons. So, as long as Apple has all of your data anyway, they want to be able to use it for "other things" as well. ;)

I don't know, there's probably a pretty low risk with this. At least there will be until some hacker breaks into their systems and starts looking for passwords, bank accounts and credit card numbers.

OK... back on topic:

Steve Jobs is dead. If you had any doubts about this before, then this should put them to rest, because Apple paying a dividend to shareholders was one of those things that he would only allow "over his dead body"... http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/19/technology/apple-dividend/index.htm

It's sure a different company with Tim Cook as CEO.

The risk comes from an employee of Apple, they probably have excellent hacker deterrents. It is the enemy within, an employee that got a bad review, no increase, financial problems, etc. At least that was my experience when I had responsiblity for system security.

That is one of the few things about Apple that makes me smile; their stock appreciation. Bought after they split in '05 at 45/share :dance: