Stink bugs Update

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
The stink bug threat is so new to the state that agriculture officials say they can only guess at this year’s potential crop damage. They nonetheless estimate that the bugs could destroy more than $40 million worth of apple, peach, tomato and green pepper crops that were worth about $117 million in 2010. One Rutgers University estimate sets a potential 60 percent loss to the state’s peach crop this year.
Researchers with Rutgers University’s New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station say the state’s stink bug threat is greatest in South Jersey. Field study teams found the insects are concentrated in just about all of Salem and Gloucester counties and the western end of Cumberland County.
More...
http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/...cle_3a9d0446-a04c-11e0-93d3-001cc4c002e0.html

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
While cleaning out the truck last weekendnI found about a dozen of them, probably from our last camping trip at Worthington last year. They were nicely dried out and crispy :)

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Stink bugs heading inside as weather cools

NEWARK, Del. - October 3, 2011 (WPVI) -- A University of Delaware insect researcher says the cold weather means stink bugs will be heading inside homes to seek a warm spot for the winter.
Entomologist Brian Kunkel tells The News Journal of Wilmington, Del. that the best thing homeowners can do to keep out stink bugs is seal cracks around windows, doors, dryer vents and other openings.
The bugs showed up in heavy numbers last year from Virginia to New York.
They also pose an agricultural threat, with the risk highest to fruit crops.
---

John E.

Oct 4, 2011
Northwest of Philly
I had heard about this remedy and it seems to work, spray them with rubbing alcohol. Whatever the reason, it kills them fairly quickly. I try to spray them on their underside as it is more easily absorbed into their body. Sometimes it takes more than one shot but the kill rate is 100% and very cheap!

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
For many people, stink bugs are simply a minor nuisance around the house, a bug whose name becomes more meaningful when it’s squashed like any other common pest.
It stinks.
But one type of stink bug, the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug, has caused the tri-state area significant problems since 2010 after the bug was accidentally introduced to the United States from Asia in 1996.
According to Carl Schulze, the director of the Division of Plant Industry at the New Jersey Department of Agriculture, the insect’s population spiked in 2010 causing serious crop damage to vegetable and fruit crops throughout New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
“It wasn’t until about two or three years ago that they built up to a level that they were a major pest,” wiping out whole crops of sweet corn, peaches and apples, said Schulze. “Before then, they were more of a curiosity.”
The bug’s introduction came with little concern, with the new, inch-long bugs merely resembling similar stink bugs that were not a known threat to local vegetation.
“It is a serious economic pest because it attacks the fruit directly, often leaving it misshapen or marked with feeding spots,” said Michelle Infante-Casella, the County Agricultural Agent for the Rutgers Cooperative Extension Service of Gloucester County.

http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/index.ssf/2012/09/researchers_continue_to_push_f.html

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Funny - I kept finding them in my house all last winter. But when summer came, they virtually disappeared. I can't remember the last time I saw one now.