Stone Searching

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Not sure Bob. However, some of the info Al and I have mentions the 1740's with some of the locations we have been. This is something I am always never sure of.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Jessica is sick so I headed out on my own early this morning to stone search on Spring Hill (Spring Hill Tract aka Bass River North). There are quite a few stones in that area and very tough to get to. After looking for three of them I was exhausted. And I almost got hung up in my car with all of the wheels off the ground.

This one is semi large.

IMG_9348.JPG

Just laying on the ground.

IMG_9349.JPG

I noticed this at the intersection of Stevenson Road and Long Causeway Road.

IMG_9357.JPG

Unfortunately, what was in it is not good.

IMG_9356.JPG

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Yesterday, Al (manumuskin) and I stone searched in the area of the bombing range and Oswego Road, among other places. Quite a few of the stones are no longer there but we did find a few we looked for. In one of the areas we were in Samuel Richards had owned property. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any stones from this.

In any event, here are a few we did find.

IMG_9364.JPG

An interesting area along the way.

IMG_9367.JPG

I think this one fell over and broke into pieces.

IMG_9368.JPG

IMG_9369.JPG

We had learned there was an old cabin that had burned years ago in the area we were in, and we were surprised to find it high on the top of a high spot in a very nice location. If the trees were shorter the view would have been quite nice.

The burned timber and solid remains.

IMG_9370.JPG

IMG_9371.JPG

IMG_9374.JPG

There was a really heavy and huge pipe that they had used for their heating needs. This cabin must have been quite large.

IMG_9372.JPG

IMG_9373.JPG

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Sophie behaved very well that day,unfortunately today she really showed her @$$.Took her to Atlantic county park and let her loose on the boardwalk.we had to chase her a full mile to catch her.She didn't stop till the boardwalk forked and she didn't know which way to go.she waited for us there for probably 15 minutes for us to catch her.She spent the rest of the walk on a leash which was pure torture for me as well trying to hold the strong beast back.I told her she wants to act like an animal I'll treat her like one.
I think my next assault will be the Merrygold area,Think your up for that?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yea, I am up for it. I will eat extra Wheaties that morning:)

Sophie is nice to have along.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will send privately. We should not have been there.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Thats what we were talking about when in that second photo:) Bob would really love this spot!

Lot of Inkberry with Leatherleaf growing small down under it and a lot of a yellow grass that I don't know the name of.I'm sure in summer there will be some nice goodies under all this.
BY the way what would favor a bog coming up Inkberry as opposed to Leatherleaf?Perhpas not quite as wet?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
BY the way what would favor a bog coming up Inkberry as opposed to Leatherleaf?Perhpas not quite as wet?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that inkberry is the pioneer here, and when the leatherleaf gets established, it will take over as it spreads vegetatively via stolons. It will form a colony and choke everything else out.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I did notify them.

Guy

The Burlington County Health Department called me today about the asbestos. The state forwards it to the person who called me and they did not send the photo's or GPS cords to him. All he got was the street intersection I gave them. I guess he was calling to confirm it was legitimate and maybe to listen to what I had to say and decide if it was me who put it there so they would remove it. Who knows! In any event, they were sending someone out to remove it.

Guy

Reactions: noboat

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I learned of this stone a few weeks back and have looked for it on at least two occasions. Yesterday, after looking again with Al and Jessica, I arrived home and as soon as I came in the door I got a phone call giving me a more accurate description on it's location. So this morning at 6AM I picked up my mom and we headed out to see if i could find it. We arrived at sunrise and so the photo's are slightly dark.

The stone is the Francis French stone and you can see the FF on it. It looks like a date of 1991 or 1997 on it but it would have to be 1891 or 7 or 1791 or 7. Then again it may be something else completely.

IMG_9416.JPG

IMG_9418.JPG

Guy

Reactions: dogg57