Strange lights over the Pines

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Fellow Pineys,

Last night, 3/1/06, I observed several lights, one appearing after the other in a matter of a couple of seconds. They formed a remarkably straight line, something that I'd never seen before. I first saw them while driving on the parkway near Galloway, and saw them again about 45 minutes later in Mullica. A friend of mine also saw them in EHC. Has anyone any idea as to what they were? I doubt they were for the purpose of navigation for a plane, as the night was clear as ever.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I have seen strange lights, but not like you described. This past weekend a bunch of us saw military planes during the day flying in a straight line (though of probably varying height). Could they have been military?

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Could it be the Southern (New Jersey) Lights? lol It's funny, until I watched "March of the Penguins" a while ago I never realized that the Aurora Borealis occured at extreme southern latitudes also. Not to hijack the thread but great movie for all ages...

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Reviving this old thread. The UFO/UAP phenomenon has been a subject that I've taken a lot of interest in for the past several years. I stumbled across this report while looking for other accounts of what I saw on 3/1/06. Surely enough, someone reported seeing the same thing:

When I saw the lights, I concluded they were probably some sort of military flares. I'm still leaning in the direction. But what kind of flares would meet that description?

Reactions: Boyd

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Have you considered what you saw may have been Chinese sky lanterns? These have fooled many a folk around here with their bright lights and graceful slow flight on the wind currents.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I can definitely rule them out. These lights appeared in succession to form a straight line, after which they would disappear only to reappear seconds later.

Edited to add a detail: The lights were stationary.

Last edited: