Strange track?

JIMBO

Scout
Mar 31, 2003
Nugentown NJ
Last night something was in the yard. It dug up my dog that has been buried since last winter and was about 2 feet down. Whatever it is was large enough to shred through the blanket she was wrapped in. a road kill deer just up the street was also torn up. Next door there dog was barking up a storm last night. And the horses were kicking there stalls and making a commotion for quite a while.
The only thing I could find was a partial track in leaf covered sand 4 toes about 4†from across total and a long narrow back pad. Anyone have any ideas what mite do this? I am near bass river state park and there is a lot of undeveloped land around here

JIMBO

Scout
Mar 31, 2003
Nugentown NJ
I spoke to a local hunter and trapper and he said it was probably coyotes. There is a pack of 8 of them or so. They are really raising heck around here with the horses. He asked all around and no bears yet but it won’t be long.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Jimbo,

Somthing dug 2 feet down to reach a dog wrapped in a blanket that had been buried the past winter?

I'd move. I think its a werewolf.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
4 inches across would normally be too big for a coyote.thats more wolf and dog size.we have no wolves here to my knowledge so I"d say it"s a big dog except our coyotes are larger then average here.I"ve seen coyotes up close I know were a good 70 lbs.I wasn"t in a good track area but I bet he coulda left good 4 inch tracks.Most dogs are lazy unless really hungry.I think you either have a coyote ( a large one to be sure) or a very hungry dog.most dogs woulda dug a little and left.Coyote pads tend to be more three lobed on the heel pad then dogs.dogs are more triangular.Put out some bait over a tracking box and take pics and post em I might be able to give you a better answer.
Al

JIMBO

Scout
Mar 31, 2003
Nugentown NJ
The track was in the sand but in an area covered with pine needles not the best spot for tracks it could have been 2 tracks on top of each other.