Stupid is as stupid does

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I've been traversing the pines for 4 decades now. Do you think I'd know better? Out in the woods alone, no cell phone, no come along or chain (both safely stored in my garage). no winch. The picture is self explanatory.
Greg (A.K.A. Moron)
0708121855.jpg

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I used to do trail runs in this area. With my knees I can't run anymore, so I'm driving many of the roads I used to run. This puddle used to be about 6" deep with no ruts during wet times, I'd run through it during dry times. I found out the hard way it isn't 6" deep with no ruts any more. :)Plus I started with the driver side on dry ground. The truck slide sideways about half way through.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
I used to do trail runs in this area. With my knees I can't run anymore, so I'm driving many of the roads I used to run. This puddle used to be about 6" deep with no ruts during wet times, I'd run through it during dry times. I found out the hard way it isn't 6" deep with no ruts any more. :)Plus I started with the driver side on dry ground. The truck slide sideways about half way through.
It has happen to all of us,Tree roots or nice ruts will throw you in the center.So how did you get out?

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I hiked out towards a main, hard packed dirt road and a woman I had met before (she runs her Brittany Spaniel and I run my Springer Spaniel in the same area) was hiking. She called my wife, who called my son, who brought my chain out to pull me out. It was 10:00 PM when he pulled me out. Needless to say I've been taking a well deserved verbal beating over this. :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We all feel your pain. :oops: Is it a 4x4? I would assume it isn't.

Guy

Buschwacker

Oct 3, 2006
Carteret, New Jersey
I know the feeling all to well. A few years back I just bought a new 4x4 and decided to go fishing. On my way to an out ot the way spot that I have been too countless times I landed up getting this truck stuck past the axels. Had to hike out and have a couple of local guys that I have seen hunting and fishing help winch me out. Cost me a couple of beers, that's it! Keep a some towing rope and come along in the tool box now.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I know the feeling all to well. A few years back I just bought a new 4x4 and decided to go fishing. On my way to an out ot the way spot that I have been too countless times I landed up getting this truck stuck past the axels. Had to hike out and have a couple of local guys that I have seen hunting and fishing help winch me out. Cost me a couple of beers, that's it! Keep a some towing rope and come along in the tool box now.

And always carry a couple of beers!

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ
Happpened to me last Halloween in sugar sand, talk about embarrassing ! My step son came over to get me , it was a "nature preserve " that allows hunting :confused: . The hike on the way out with the sound of shotguns was real comforting .Not one of my better efforts :(

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
As others have mentioned, I've driven those roads long enough to now realize that something that was a small hole yesterday, could very likely be a huge crater then next day. I also go out of my way to make sure I straddle the side, putting one tire in the middle of the hole and let the other tire ride either side. Back when I used to 4-wheel on a regular basis, we had a "call list" where we'd record all our phone numbers. Everyone in the group would get that list. If someone happened to get stuck, they were allowed to start calling down the list to see if anyone was available to come pull the stuck person out of the hole. I never needed to use it as for either situation, but I felt good having access to the list.

Glad you got out without any damage.