Sunday Stone Searching Seriously Started

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Al and I waited all summer for the first weekend day that he had off so we could finally resume stone searching together. Today was the day and we invited Flash and Wolfspider along. With Jessica also attending we met at the Chatsworth Firehouse at 9:30 this morning. ( bobpox .... where were you at 9:30 this morning in your truck? :siren: )

We discussed our plans for the day and headed off to an area that we all had never been to before. Our goal was to search out and find multiple stones incised NN and AL, with one of the NN stones having a date of 1826 on it. I had acquired the deeds for three tracks of land not far from downtown Chatsworth, and we were hoping the stones still would be there.

At first the going was somewhat easy and we eventually found our first stone. Incised on the very top was the initials JW. After a few minutes of thinking about it I remembered one piece of information I had mentioned Joseph Willis. So it appears JW is Joseph Willis.

JW on the top of the stone.

IMG_1907.JPG

From this point on the woods became considerably harder. And at each location we came up empty. Finally, at the very end we found a stone that a surveyor in the distant past spray painted and filled over with dirt.

IMG_1908.JPG

The day up to this point was a little disappointing, and at this point Flash and Wolfspider had to leave for other endeavors. So Al, Jessica, and myself walked the mile down a trail to our next location where we hoped to find AL stones. I had acquired the deed but I have to say Al came through big time by figuring out where the deed was referring to. Again, we were unsure of their exact location but had a few clues. The first two locations were in an area that had serious disturbance and within a few minutes we gave up. We then headed through a swamp for two stones that were not incised. Jessica came through for us on this one after I walked right by it.

IMG_1909.JPG

Less than 200 feet away Al found this one.

IMG_1911.JPG

Then off to find the final two AL stones. Our guesses placed them on the back side of the cedar swamp and arriving there we found it to be really nice and remote. Confidence was high and in no time at all Al was yelling he had found his AL stone. It turned out to be a really nice large stone.

IMG_1917.JPG

After officially declaring the stones his, we left to find one more. With exhaustion setting in we traveled the 500 feet to a really nice natural open area and Al had his second stone.

IMG_1920.JPG

We were a little disappointed the AL was not very clear, but our concerns were a bit premature. Using my fingers I worked some magic as I should have done on the fist AL stone. I drove up the property value and Al was happy as was I. Jessica was just downright tired :)

IMG_1923.JPG

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Nice hard rock day Guy!

If you saw a truck like mine, it was not me. I was home. I made a report on my plant survey and went to pick it up at Staples.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

Sorry, it looked just like you.

Yes, the first part was one of those nightmare hikes through scrub oak. We went right to my in-laws for dinner and after dinner my father-in-law caught Jessica semi napping. Then while sitting there I opened my eyes to see and hear everyone laughing at me just as my other daughter was about to take a photo of me with my eyes closed. Yea...thats it, they were just closed. Surely.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
My step daughter does the same to me at every family function.I fall asleep and she takes pics and keeps a scrapbook of Al asleep at almost every birthday party and Thanksgiving dinner.If I set down and no one is talking to me,I'm not reading or watching tv I will zonk in minutes

Reactions: dogg57

flash

Scout
Jul 25, 2009
Shortly after departing from stone searching with Guy and Al, Wolfspider (Don) and i headed for Bass River where we found the WS9 stone followed by the T_ stone. The other letter was not visible on the T _ stone due to the stone being broken on a sharp angle. Overall it was an amazing day for stone searching; we all killed it out there! I was so tired when i arrived home where the wife put me to work lol. I passed out the second i hit the bed. Hope to meet up with you guys again soon, thanks again!!
-Gordon

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I guess I shouldn't feel so bad about being old and worn out if those blueberry bushes put the wammy on you young fellers too.I think a bad Blueberry swamp is even worse then a bad scrub oak thicket and tie with eight foot high pine plains.

flash

Scout
Jul 25, 2009
Yeah I have to admit, that was some tough terrain. We got lucky though; the briars could have been much much worse

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We save the harder stones to find for when Al and I are together. It looks like a few future outings may be as hard. Plus, we have to go back to this one. I am not sure how productive it will be though.

flash

Scout
Jul 25, 2009
Are u planning on attacking th NN tract again soon? Any info to coincide with the ws9 or T_ stone yet? I remember when we got to the location where the dated NN stone was supposed to be. I was so determined to find it I almost lost you guys because I was poking around everywhere lol

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Now that we found two stones Guy has the dec down.I think his latest plot should be right on.That area on historical aerials appears to have been logged in the past,hopefully the stones were not run over and pushed under.I will try not to forget my stone poker next time.

flash

Scout
Jul 25, 2009
Lol the avatar; al seemed confused that I was not the same guy when he saw me Sunday. He said he was expecting a guy of a similar age to him. The avatar is a picture of Tom delonge. He is the guitarist / vocalist in the band blink-182. The picture is from a music video they did called first date. The band members decided to dress up like 70's rockers for the video. I love rock music and have recently fallen in love with classical music

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The drummer of that band if I remember liked to run around naked.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Are u planning on attacking th NN tract again soon? Any info to coincide with the ws9 or T_ stone yet? I remember when we got to the location where the dated NN stone was supposed to be. I was so determined to find it I almost lost you guys because I was poking around everywhere lol

I have not had time to work on the T stone as of yet. As for the NN stones we have to see when Al is available.

Guy