Sunrise at 1/4 Mile Road

Status
Not open for further replies.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Not sure if closing 1/4 mile would work or just drive these morons to some other location. there are lots of places to choose from. It would be unfair to judge all 4 wheelers, even monster trucks as being destructive but there are obviously too many idiots that just don't give a damn and actually feel that they have the right to "tare the shit out of it". I don't know why the state or other authority does not stake this place out on the weekends and issue some serious fines, lord knows the state could use the money!

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
A trail system would probably work out well with those willing to follow the rules. But the idiots tearing up the road at 1/4 mile, and other locations, prove that they do not follow the rules and would be just as likely to tear up the trail system and ruin it for all of the users that do follow the rules.
I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that there are many roads that I used to be able to easily drive down in a pick up that I would now not even consider with my 4x4, and this destruction is all man made. The destruction has really increased over the last 5-10 years and I am afraid that for safety sake that the Fire/Forest services may begin gating roads in order to protect them for their own use.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
What I'm getting at with the trail system is it would enable higher fines, to make it less desirable and an exact set of rules/laws that would have to be abided by. Easier for 4x4guys to know the rules and whee they can go, and easier for law enforcement to enforce the rules.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why it is so difficult to find these idiots. I mean it's not like they drive Toyota's. They should be fairly easy to spot and follow. Even the time frame is nailed down to weekends. And there aren't that many ways in to the place. Just one or 2 raids, as has happened in Greenwood WMA, might be a good starting point. Give the CO's some overtime and let them have some fun.

ZZ3GMC

Scout
Sep 19, 2003
Pemberton
Visit site
Its not hard to find them. Just drive out there on any sunday and you will run into them. I see them all the time when Im out in the woods on my dualsport. Go to the 72/206 Wawa and you will see these rigs rolling in in the AM towing mud trucks, jeeps etc. Go out there saturday night, Im sure you'll find them. I keep hearing all this talk on here about doing it! BUT, after you find them what do you do with them? Call the cops? Im sure they will wait around while your making the call! Take plate numbers down? Someone will catch on that "Joe Milquetoast" in his hunter green Subaru forester wagon just doesnt fit in with the crowd. I think the proper and safest way to "police" the area is to get the Park Police involved somehow. Start ticketing them and I like Mudboys idea about the community service. Make them restore the place, plant trees etc! Heck, Id go out there and help replant the area! Im not for banning all orv use in the forest. Trucks, quads or bikes. Im a responsible orv user myself. I am against the idiots that do that kind of damage and ruin it for everybody else!

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
About 20 years ago, before 1/4 mile became what it is now, we called it Blackwater Road. It was just a water filled road in the pines, much like any other. Suddenly, it's "popularity" grew. All of a sudden, the savannah off to the left (opposite the tracks) started getting torn up. 15 years ago, the rangers put up flagging "no motor vehicle" signs along blackwater road. Obviously, it didn't last long.

Last year, my teenage nephew called me late on a friday night, stating that he was stuck. When I asked where, he said "1/4 mile" While trying to rally up a partner to ride out to rescue him, I called my brother (his dad). When I told my bro where he was, bro said "He shouldn't be there & he knows it....leave him there" and wouldn't go along for the ride. I picked up my dad & we rode out. As I was winching out my nephew, Dad grabbed a trash bag from my Jeep & was cleaning up trash. All of a sudden, I hear him yell "Son of a B...." I see him walk out of the woods holding a trash bag in one hand, a torque convertor in the other, and transmission fluid covering the front of him. Sad yet funny. So, I know what you mean by Wharton Truck Parts.

ZZ3GMC

Scout
Sep 19, 2003
Pemberton
Visit site
Is this area completly off limits? Is there actually a designated dirtroad through there? I dont even know where it is exactly. I dont want to get into any trouble if I came into it with my SUV or bike. Im kind of curious to see the damage firsthand.

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
The 2 plants, Camby's lobelia and Pine Barrens Smoke Grass mentioned in the NJN segment are quite rare. The latter is a GLOBALLY IMPERILED species and the 1/4 mile area is one of its GLOBAL strong holds.

Another thing that I noticed back there that is that the clay lenses/layers that allowed the once vernal pools to hold water and exist are now destroyed, you can see portions of the clay along the left side of the road, just past the fire location. The loss of these vernal pools is a great loss of habitat for all of the frogs and salamanders that need them to reproduce.

I doubt that the pools would ever recover.

Last trip I saw squashed leopard frogs in the tire ruts and noticed that some of the existing puddles had a film of oil on them, I doubt this will be good for any remaining herps.

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
If there is any question about the legality of whats going on back there.

Check out the State/Federal wetlands regs.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/landuse/7-7a.pdf

One of the litany of laws being broken.

N.J.A.C. 7:7A-2.1(a), 2.2(a) and (b), 2.5(f), 2.6(a)
Conducting regulated or prohibited activities in a freshwater wetland, transition area and/or State open water without prior Department approval.

And the penalty for the above, in this exceptional resource area, would be more than $10,000 per day.

I would not want to be caught muddin in 1/4 mile if the NJDEP/LURP decides to prosecute

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks Pines Lover for the compliment! I would have a more serious camera, but for what I do the point and shoot works best for me.

I agree that it will be a miracle for the wetlands in that area to recover.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Photos 3, 4, 7, and 8 in Guy's original post look like virgin land destroyed to me. That debunks the argument that they are just following roads already made (which I really have no problem with as long as they existed previously and are not trashed).

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...the bulldozers they trot out for fires are overkill and the start of all things bad.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
N It would be unfair to judge all 4 wheelers, even monster trucks as being destructive but there are obviously too many idiots that just don't give a damn and actually feel that they have the right to "tare the shit out of it". !

So true. I was at the small bridge years ago that was there before the current bridge over the Skit at 1/4 mile, and a large group of army vehicles with half tracks was traveling through. They stayed on the roads and enjoyed themselves. I see nothing wrong with that; however, this is much more.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I've said it before, and I'll say it again...the bulldozers they trot out for fires are overkill and the start of all things bad.

Yea, they need to find another way to fight the fires when they are in a wetland area. Or if they do some damage they need to find a way after the fire is over to block the road they made. Once vehicles start using them the road is forever there.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
What really needs to happen is an attitude adjustment for most of the Park Police. Perhaps have them report directly to the State Police. They need, as part of their training, education in the natural resources they are obligated to protect. The ones I have talked with in a local park seem to believe they are primarily responsible for traffic control. There is no reason that a Park police task force could not be formed to develop a plan to deal with the destruction of park & forest resources and then execute it. As far as money and the state budget, the Park Police are not under the restrictions other state agencies are and they are hiring.

I know its been posted here before, but in case someone missed it, here is the number to call should you see something the park police needs to look into;

Report an emergency or any suspicious activity in the state parks 24 hours a day. Contact the NJ State Park Police at 1-877-WARN DEP (1-877-927- 6337).

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessica and I were out there this morning to look around again. However, we could hear them screaming and the vehicles churning, but Jessica did not want to come upon them. So we got as close as possible but I still could not see what was going on. They must have spent the night because I rarely see wheeling going on that early in the morning.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Most law folks determine priorities based on the number of complaints they receive, as long as they are not bogus calls. The more the merrier, as the saying goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.