Swamp pink and Ragged Fringed Orchid upper Big Timber Creek

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
Not in the Pinelands proper, but in an upper trib of the Big Timber Creek in a AWC swamp.

Lots of Pinelands flora in the area, B,W, chestnut oaks, pitch pine, m laurel, clethra, cinnamon ferns etc.

Swamp pink Ragged Fringed Orchid .jpg

Swamp pink and ragged fringed orchid

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
Where exactly does the BTC start? Having grown up around that creek I never thought at any point there would be AWC.

North and South branches have many upper tribs. Berlin, Lindenwold(Lake Worth), Gloucester Twp, Washington Twp., Pine Hill, Pine Valley. Many of these have AWC.

BTC flows along the AC Expressway west, before it merges with Rt. 42. If you look hard you can see AWC there.

Check out Lake Worth (Camden County open space) in Lindenwold, right off of Rt.30. Follow trails along the stream above the lake to old lake bed site. AWC and SL and RL sundews in the Big Timber Creek Watershed.

On the lower tidal portion of the creek you can see ancient AWC stumps at low tide.

I found a few stumps in the small Gravelly Run stream in the middle on Lindenwold, north of Rt. 30.

Years ago I found a fossilized section of bald cypress in a small trib.

AWC BTC.jpg

Nice size AWC within 100 feet of AC Expressway

BTW A BTC trib has the only remaining native pop of Brook Trout in NJ

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Mike, Has Allen shown you the area in Pemberton Twp. with P.lacera? There are also Goodyera pubescens,Tipularia discolor,many ferns and fern allies inc. Lygodium palmatum and a small area across the road with a large amount of Cypripedium acaule.

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
Mike, Has Allen shown you the area in Pemberton Twp. with P.lacera? There are also Goodyera pubescens,Tipularia discolor,many ferns and fern allies inc. Lygodium palmatum and a small area across the road with a large amount of Cypripedium acaule.

I heard about them but have not seen them yet.

I know the area, sounds like a really cool place.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Thanks for that info. I'll have to look at some maps of its headwaters, something about AWC swamps that interests me.

I heard about the brookies from Emile recently and his interactions with Trump. I've played that golf course and actually have seen brook trout in it. Nice piece of property there hopefully all the fertilizer runoff doesn't mess it up. Seems weird to me that brook trout exists there too.

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
Thanks for that info. I'll have to look at some maps of its headwaters, something about AWC swamps that interests me.

I heard about the brookies from Emile recently and his interactions with Trump. I've played that golf course and actually have seen brook trout in it. Nice piece of property there hopefully all the fertilizer runoff doesn't mess it up. Seems weird to me that brook trout exists there too.

There use to be SP all over that area.

Its almost all gone.

Also Tipularia and Goodyera where the golf course is now.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
When walking the tracks past Clementon Park and the golf course there, it makes me think I am walking the JCRR years ago.

4_E_1_3.jpg

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
That whole area is very piney and has some real nice wetlands. I'm kind of pissed I can't play the actual golf course anymore as its private. I use to love playing there because the wildlife and surrounding habitat was special. The wetlands along where the brook trout are was very clean and pristine. EDV told me that there is some serious money going into the place to help out the SP there.

Guy same set of tracks that runs through our town?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy same set of tracks that runs through our town?

Yes. Maybe one day you and I can stand along Atlantic and run behind the train and hitch a ride there and catch another one back :siren:

Presidents and world leaders play at that course by Clementon Park. You would never know that from the overflow parking area along the tracks.

L3.jpg

And this is inside.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/09122010/bing.jpg

Guy

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
Yes. Maybe one day you and I can stand along Atlantic and run behind the train and hitch a ride there and catch another one back :siren:

Presidents and world leaders play at that course by Clementon Park. You would never know that from the overflow parking area along the tracks.

L3.jpg

And this is inside.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/09122010/bing.jpg

Guy
very cool info , i live right around the corner and grew up in the area im always at lake worth , if you walk behind the parking lot pictured of pine valley its a really cool area but becareful to stay off private property and you could even catch a peek of al capones old house

Attachments

• pv4.jpg
    pv4.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 327
  • pv.jpg
    pv.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 340
  • pv3.jpg
    pv3.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 351
  • pv5.jpg
    pv5.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 371
  • pv2.jpg
    pv2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 369

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Like devilstoy said it opens once a year for the crumb cup. Also the best way to play that course is to caddy there. They let there caddies play alot which is a pretty good gig. My friend caddied for Marty Brodeur and he tipped him 300 bucks....not bad.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I know someone who worked for a business that made deliveries there. That was the only way he was able to get in.

Guy