Swimming in clay/sand mines...

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
I love me some "holes" lol. I explore a lot and study maps. Here is one in Winslow on my recent visit. However, would never swim in these due to high levels of pollution. Some have been waste dump sites after they were used for mining. However, still great to check out nature. The frogs, fish, birds, deer and wildlife. Explorer for life here. Nature nut. The color is surreal. My favorite spot are the ponds at Manumuskin... and the trails/area. People are ruining these places. I wasn't going to post links, etc. Due to the respect of the folks who created the site. I'm not here to promote my site and do not get paid for my explorations. However, I am here to exchange info for the folks that truly love nature on this site. They are the "real deal" on this forum! Love you all!

http://yummygal.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/blue-hole-lake-nj/

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
However,after speaking with the administrator he said it was okay. Adventure on, my friends!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I know a few folks who like diving the blue holes.I would like it also but unfortunately am not dive trained.I ran into an 80 year old man at menantico at night back in the 80's.he was diving by the light of the full moon.He swore it was awesome.

Reactions: pineywoman

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Manumuskin. I saw a post of you at Sea Breeze and Moore's Beach today! You are one adventurer!! The dogs seemed to have had a fun time, hahahaha.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Here is one in Winslow on my recent visit. However, would never swim in these due to high levels of pollution.

Pineywoman-

It's nice to know someone else has discovered this treasure. I found this place 24 years ago, and have been going back ever since! Fishing, running the dog (she loves the water), even swimming on occasion (pollution or not). One of my favorite spots.

John-

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
There's quite a few more I've discovered over the years, but haven't posted them. Since June, I've been trekking all over the place. I was tired of staying home with my kid all day and wanted to get the heck out. (He's now 14 months old) I went to the islands with my best friend as a present from my husband to liven my spirits and the fire has been fueling since. I came back revitalized and refreshed. Going from hating NJ my entire life to enamoured with our natural beauty. As I say over and over again, to Ben (the admin) and other folks I've talked to on here. I am so happy to have found this site. It feels awesome to find folks with similar interests and for wanting to preserve our beauty for generations to come. My friends aren't as adventurous as I am so it is nice to have met new "friends." I hope to share my stories and adventures to all of you. Also, share my knowledge about my discoveries. Happy Adventures, Pine Baron! (Aka John)

If you see I don't give up the location. A man drowned here a few weeks back and of course I don't want to be liable for anyone's stupidity.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
There's quite a few more I've discovered over the years, but haven't posted them. Since June, I've been trekking all over the place. I was tired of staying home with my kid all day and wanted to get the heck out. (He's now 14 months old) I went to the islands with my best friend as a present from my husband to liven my spirits and the fire has been fueling since. I came back revitalized and refreshed. Going from hating NJ my entire life to enamoured with our natural beauty. As I say over and over again, to Ben (the admin) and other folks I've talked to on here. I am so happy to have found this site. It feels awesome to find folks with similar interests and for wanting to preserve our beauty for generations to come. My friends aren't as adventurous as I am so it is nice to have met new "friends." I hope to share my stories and adventures to all of you. Also, share my knowledge about my discoveries. Happy Adventures, Pine Baron! (Aka John)

If you see I don't give up the location. A man drowned here a few weeks back and of course I don't want to be liable for anyone's stupidity.

You sound like my wife.Her greatest pet peeve is stupid people.Can't figure out why she married me but I'm glad she did.Maybe to reform my stupidity?

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Haha, but you aren't stupid. You are always prepared on your travels. I am the same. Always enough water, food for at least 1-2 days in a backpack I carry. Plus, all the baby supplies, food, clothes, diapers, etc. for him and a fully charged cell phone for any emergencies. However, there are retards out there ruining our beauty by leaving their trash behind or swimming and not knowing the general depth of these old mining holes. Some are EXTREMELY deep and drop off suddenly. Research to the area always should be advised prior to any travel. These people just don't get it. This guy was I believe 37 years old who drowned. He should know better. His death, even though it explicitly states NO SWIMMING all throughout the property will now ruin it for all. I went back about 2 weeks ago. Sure enough they locked the gate with a fresh new padlock. You can still walk there no signs YET. I'm sure that is soon to come. They shut down Jackson Rd. I'm sure this is the next one on the list.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
There is no personal responsibility anymore.You say the state owns that pond? I'm sure they will be sued over it.Wouldn't surprise me if the nitwit who got bit by the Rattler out to oswego lake didn't sue the state for not having their snakes on a leash.
Now I am of the opinion that since we have to pay to hunt the STATES deer then that should make the state responisible for said deer and if one totals my truck then the state should be responsible for that since they obviously own the deer we have to pay to hunt.Maybe I'm just confused.Such a crazy world.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Fish and Wildlife Manage the site. However, is private property like the Nature Conservancy at Manumuskin where you are free to explore and fish. It is totally crazy no one can hold their accountability anymore. ALWAYS easier to blame someone else on your own stupidity. Hello, but you are hanging out in THE WILD and should expect to possibly deal with encounters in THE WILD, lol.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
There are natural features that were traditionally called “blue holes” across the Pine Barrens. A couple links to earlier posts related to this subject are:

Some blue holes, like Inskeeps near Winslow, are associated with an unusual channel-form signature that remains intact from the Ice Age. Here’s a link to my webpage, where you can download a poster that provides a cold, nonglacial (periglacial) interpretation of local landforms. Click on poster icon for a PDF copy of The periglacial legacy of the New Jersey Pine Barrens, USA: climate history and geomorphic heritage as a land-use management tool.

The Manumuskin Preserve is a good example of an ancient parabolic dune field. Land changes attributed to its turbulent past accounts for a lot of the parcel's abundant biodiversity. Its "long ponds" are interdunal blowouts, most of which have long since dried up due to a lowering shallow groundwater.

S-M

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I'm not here to promote my site and do not get paid for my explorations. However, I am here to exchange info for the folks that truly love nature on this site.

Aha! Thank you for "connecting the dots" pineywoman. I enjoyed visiting your site awhile ago when Guy posted a link to it, but didn't realize you were the same person. :) http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/a-new-stuck-vehicle-video.8557/page-2#post-101881

Click on poster icon for a PDF copy of The periglacial legacy of the New Jersey Pine Barrens, USA: climate history and geomorphic heritage as a land-use management tool.

That is very cool Mark. Have you ever studied the USGS LIDAR imagery (see http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/lidar-in-the-pines-very-cool.6936/)? I'd think it would show these formations very clearly. I was just looking a few days ago and noticed they have added new coverage in the pines - they finally have the area around my own house in fact.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Tis' how I found you crazy geniuses! Thanks for the lovely "reminder", Boyd. Spung-Man, your work is precious. Amazing to see the period of changes of centuries ago of the Pines and the natural formations of some of these "holes.". Did they ever develop on the land you studied? I hope not!

Spung-man, I've also heard the blue hole at Innskeeps (the area I got stuck in, btw) was a spring that stopped working. Guess,that is not the case.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Have you ever studied the USGS LIDAR imagery?

Boyd,

Yes, a colleague and I have been processing images of various periglacial landforms. We presented some of them at NASA’s Third International Planetary Dune Workshop in Flagstaff as potential analogs for Mars climate change study. Click on the abstract icon for a PDF copy of Ancient eolian landforms and features from a terrestrial mid-latitude periglacial environment.

This Fall I will present Late Pleistocene soilscape of a sandy coastal plain, Pinelands National Reserve, New Jersey, USA at the 3rd Conference on Terrestrial Mars Analogs in Marrakech. I guess you might say the Pines are out of this world!

S-M

Reactions: pineywoman

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Mark, that is really cool that Alexis coauthored the poster and abstract. That she likes what you like really makes life complete.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
So I explored 4 blue holes today. One is my favorite in all of the state. Truly gorgeous initials are L.A. I don't want anyone to know where it is or get spoiled because right now its untouched and gorgeous. Members on the forum message me if you want to know. I dont want it getting out. The other 3 were cool. Looked around Menantico saw the ponds pretty and also found some ruins which were pretty neat. Did finally locate the large pond at Manumuskin which is gorgeous. The smaller pond is a nightmare. There are bottles of beer and old coolers left behind just everywhere it is horrid and makes me EXTREMELY angry.

Did also find ruins at Manumuskin but wasn't Fries Mill that I was looking for. If anyone knows how to get there (I trekked miles by myself today and couldnt locate what I was looking for) Please private message me. I don't want idiots to find the location if you are willing to offer some advice. Thanks Again! I will post pictures. The one lake is stunning.