Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
This is interesting if correct.

"The use of tar kilns must have died out by 1800"
Wonder how close a Carbon 14 dating of the charcoal would get? Maybe metal detecting would pick up a coin? That would give a good date.I have found one kiln with a gum tree in it that is obviously over 100 years old but gum are slow growers so the tree might be older then that?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
By the way twice now I have went to what I was certain was a tar kiln location only to find a large round shaped laurel patch with noting indise of it.I swear this Lidar imagery in some circumstances bounces off of laurel representing it as a ground feature. Both of these are laurel patches with no kiln

Attachments

• Likanchuk.jpg
    Likanchuk.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 135
  • scouts.jpg
    scouts.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 131
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
By the way twice now I have went to what I was certain was a tar kiln location only to find a large round shaped laurel patch with noting indise of it.I swear this Lidar imagery in some circumstances bounces off of laurel representing it as a ground feature. Both of these are laurel patches with no kiln
Interesting Al. How deep did you dig?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Interesting Al. How deep did you dig?
I didn't dig under the laurel,there was no signs in the ground that a kiln had been there,no donut,trench or barrel hole,the ground was level. I have dug in kilns though and there is a humus layer about eight inches thick then about a foot of black grimy charcoal dirt with chunks of charcoal all through it. Then you hit clay.I have not went through the clay to see how deep they laid it.I have hit orange clay and gray clay in differnet kilns.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
That arcGIS web software doesn't have the capability to link to specific map views. It is the same on every other state imagery site that uses arcGIS. Kind of makes you wonder, that company has contracts with virtually every state that offers public imagery. And the USGS also uses them. They seem to have a lot of government contracts in their pockets... ;)

Reactions: manumuskin

Mikeofthewoods

Oct 29, 2020
Indian Cabin Road
i also went looking for a disturbance only to find a dense laurel bush. I think you are right about LIDAR bouncing off laurel bushes. If anyone finds a way to tell the difference, i'd love to know

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
i also went looking for a disturbance only to find a dense laurel bush. I think you are right about LIDAR bouncing off laurel bushes. If anyone finds a way to tell the difference, i'd love to know
You might have to get on the ground in some cases to know if what you are seeing on lidar is actually a kiln. But in the case of the kiln clusters in areas such as that around Hanover Furnace, you can be confident that you are in fact seeing kilns and not vegetation.

Reactions: Mikeofthewoods

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
You might have to get on the ground in some cases to know if what you are seeing on lidar is actually a kiln. But in the case of the kiln clusters in areas such as that around Hanover Furnace, you can be confident that you are in fact seeing kilns and not vegetation.
Gabe I have not hunted for them much outside of the hillshade coverage but did a quick search and came to the conclusion there were no kilns above the Mullica.Apparently I"m wrong? I"ll have to hit Boyds app and check the Hanover area now.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Gabe I have just scanned a large area around Hanover Furnace and see no tar kilns but I do see a bunch of charcoal kilns to the ene of the furnace.Are these what your talking about?