Tar Kiln Locations?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I don't know how to link to Boyds Maps anymore

Al, are you using a computer or a tablet? I can't quite tell from your screenshot. But you have the app set for mobile mode, which is what you would use on a phone or small tablet. Did you do that on purpose? If not, press the main menu button

1.png

Then press the device button

2.png

Then push the button to change to desktop. In desktop mode, the address will show in your browser and you can just copy/paste the link.

5.png

Alternately, you can just use the share button, that's what it's for.

3.png

Click the Copy to Clipboard button, then paste the link into your post at NJPB

4.png

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The patches in this area are the same exact size as the kilns.
so were the ones that I mistook for kilns and were laurel.Around here you will have open woods with kiln size patches of laurel in them.Deer often drop their fawns in them.They have foold me several times as kilns.Now a few of those you show are definitely kilns.Classic donut with a trench sometimes visible. A few of em I"m not so sure..

Reactions: pinelandpaddler

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com

a kiln near Tarkiln Brook

I thought you meant the tarkiln Brook down near Head of the River on Weatherby Rd.I had to switch to Topo Because the LIDAR was an unrecognizable area to me.I then seen why.Thats all the way up near the Metedeconk! I hearby name ot the "Yankee Tarkiln"! Of course being the finder the naming is for you Gabe but if that one ain't out of the normal range then there is no normal range.I"d like to see some LIDAR of the tar regions of the carolinas and see how thick the kilns are there and if they have the same look to em.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
In the process of editing the "Alligator threads" just now, I noticed the image in JerseyDevil's first post here - could a couple of these be tar kilns?

Here's a link to the map

https://boydsmaps.com/#17.00/40.110000/-74.260600/midatlidar/0.00/0.00

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This one got me.Its a big patch of Laurel
Al, the same exact thing happened to me this spring, up off 539 and north of route 70. I went 1/4 mile out of my way to see what it was, and it too was laurel. I wonder if the laurel has a way of putting down roots that somehow drive outward into the sand all around it, hence causing the sand to pile up due to resistance by the surrounding sand (if the way I portray it makes sense).

1702052438652.png

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I thought you meant the tarkiln Brook down near Head of the River on Weatherby Rd.I had to switch to Topo Because the LIDAR was an unrecognizable area to me.I then seen why.Thats all the way up near the Metedeconk! I hearby name ot the "Yankee Tarkiln"! Of course being the finder the naming is for you Gabe but if that one ain't out of the normal range then there is no normal range.I"d like to see some LIDAR of the tar regions of the carolinas and see how thick the kilns are there and if they have the same look to em.

See here: https://archcon.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Tar-and-Pitch-Production-Sites-Paper.pdf

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
In the process of editing the "Alligator threads" just now, I noticed the image in JerseyDevil's first post here - could a couple of these be tar kilns?

Here's a link to the map

https://boydsmaps.com/#17.00/40.110000/-74.260600/midatlidar/0.00/0.00
The only one i would say might be a kiln would be bottom left but I think it's a test pit because of the shadow in it showing it's a hole.Tar kilns are a donut rim of dirt sitting on basically level ground ,not really a hole to be throwing shadows.I also see no trench of course the trench doesn't always show either.

Reactions: 66C10 and Boyd