Taverns

B

bach2yoga

I picked up a book on EBay by Wm. McMahon on Historic Smithville.
He mentions a number of taverns (I recently read a book about Taverns in West Jersey too that was really interesting--Boyer, maybe? dunno... :prop: ).

Does anyone know where the Sailor Boy Tavern was? (Sweetwater). It was used by Revolutionar War privateers and patriots who operate in that area, Smithville and Chestnut Neck, and General Benedict Arnold held conferences there. McMahon says nothing is there now, that a small settlement grew up around it that was unofficially called "Sailor Boy".

He mentions a number of other taverns, Higbee's Green Tree Tavern, Gravelly Run Tavern, Forks Tavern, etc. I know there were many, many other taverns. He also mentions that the inns used to employ people known as "supporters" whose "principal duties were to help out of the wagons those who had been shaken to the extent they could no longer use their own muscles. Such passengers would be carried or "supported" until their circulation resumed and their cramped muscles relaxed." (p. 37 Historic Towne of Smithville, Wm. McMahon, 1967)

I know we've had some discussions amongst ourselves about this and am wondering if there is any interest in doing a tavern tour in the spring, of different taverns, some still in existence, others not, and perhaps lunch at a modern day "Piney" "tavern" :lol:

Renee

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
It sounds like a good idea to me.

The book you're talking about is Old Inns and Taverns of West Jersey by Charles Boyer. I think I know someone who has a copy for sale, which might make planning this trip easier.

I had never heard of supporters or of people being so cramped/shaken they couldn't move. I do know that at one time, death by wagon (wagon runs over root/stump of tree and goes flying) was the greatest cause of death in NJ.

B

bach2yoga

bruset said:
It sounds like a good idea to me.

The book you're talking about is Old Inns and Taverns of West Jersey by Charles Boyer. I think I know someone who has a copy for sale, which might make planning this trip easier.

I had never heard of supporters or of people being so cramped/shaken they couldn't move. I do know that at one time, death by wagon (wagon runs over root/stump of tree and goes flying) was the greatest cause of death in NJ.

Interesting, didn't know that!
Yes, that was the book. I should get a copy of it, it was *very* good. After just getting Witmer, though, and spending a small fortune for boots etc at LL Bean, the wallet is light. and that's another $50+ book, :lol: I think I'll probably wind up borrowing the library's again!
(BTW, I got Knife Edge LL Bean, goretex boots. Been breaking them in, but they are pretty comfy.)
Renee