taverns

alfonso

Explorer
Oct 9, 2003
bayville
Visit site
quaker bridge was a busy little hamlet in the 1830's . it was located about 4 miles from astion furnace on the old tuckerton road in burlingtoncounty. a tavern was opened in 1809 and stayed opened as late as 1849. today all sighns of both the tavern and village are gone. a tavern was opened 1800 at what was known as ong's hut , now a ghost town.
where the old york road and the burlington-bordentown road cross, a tavern know as crocked billet tavern was open from 1746 until 1844.

the village of three tuns, also called hedding , in burlington county , had a tavern that was open from 1793 until 1849 and went by the name three tun tavern.......................................
and don't forget ten mile hallow tavern , am looking for it know

B

bach2yoga

Quaker bridge is also famous in the botanical world for the discovery in the 1805 of a plant called Schizaea pusilla, or curlygrass fern. Botanists came from all over the world to study it. It is rare plant, an S3 and G3 plant (state and global rarity rankings, 1 being the most critical, followed by 2 then 3, etc.)
From Witmer Stone's Plants of Southern NJ:
"
This curious little fern, which bears so little resemblance to a fern as popularly understood, has long been the most prized amonth the many botanical rarities of the Jersey Pine Barrens. It was first discovered in 1805 at Quaker Bridge, where an inn well known to the botanists of old, offered shelter to those who wished to stop over night on their way to the coast. Situated as it was in the very heart of this interesting country, it furnished one of the few available stopping places for those who desired to study the flora and fauna of the Pines, and who in the absence of railroads were unable to return to Philadelphia at night. It thus became the only known species of plants which were later found to have a much wider distribution. With the coming of the railroad and abandonment of the old wagon roads to the sea, the old hostelry at Quaker Bridge disappeared, as did other similar buildings, so that the spot is now more of a wilderness and less accessible than it was a century ago. The party who had the good fortune to discover the Schizaea consisted of Dr. C.W. Eddy, J Le Conte, Fredk. Pursh and C. Whitlow. Pursh described the curious little plant in his "Flora" in 1814 leaving one to infer that he alone was the discoverer, but Rafinesque, in his review of Pursh's work states that he did not find any of the specimens and that he described the plant without the permission of the real discoverer. Dr. Torrey has confirmed the first part of this statement, saying that Dr. Eddy was the discoverer and that Le Conte was the only member of the party to find any specimen. The plant was apparently not found again until July, 1818 when Dr Torrey and Wm. Cooper drove from Philadelphia to South Amboy, by way of Quaker Bridge and Monmouth, spending a week in the Pines, while Dr. Torrey made his first acquaintance with the peculiar flora...
Schizaea is now known from some 30 stations, all within the Pine Barrens....At Speedwell I (Stone) have found it in the heart of a cedar swamp growing on the vertical sides of cuts in the sandy roads made by heavy wagons."

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Apparently the tavern site at Quaker Bridge was visible up until the 60s? when the remaining stones were carted away by vandals.

Where did you read that Ten Mile Hollow had a tavern?

Don't forget about Eagle Tavern.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
This one?

Ocean County: Four Centuries in the Making - Pauline S. Miller

I saw it at Barnes & Noble a few years back and wanted to get it. When I got the $ for it, it was gone. I need to drive to the Ocean County Historical Society and pick it up.

BorderWalker

Scout
Jun 26, 2003
Middlesex, NJ
Yeah, Miller's book is a nice book. A bit sketchy in some her citations, but otherwise quite useful. The tavern referenced at being near Ten Mile Hollow was the Charleytown Tavern:

"It stood on the south side of Mule Road near the Irish Branch and north of Dover Forge. The men from Dover Forge, Ferrago Forge, Zebulon Collins Saw Mill, Van Horn Saw Mill, and Webb's tar kiln were within two or three miles of the tavern. As teamsters traveled Mule Road from forge to forge and from the forges to the landings in Toms River, Cedar Creek, or Forked River, they had to pass the door of this tavern. Often they stopped long enough to fill up their jugs with Jersey Lightening from the local stills in the pines, then traveled on imbibing as they walked beside their wagons." (pg. 200)

There's a small sketch of the Charleytown tavern on the same page, although she doesn't reference the source.

--Tom

[Edited for a typo.]

KenDawg

Scout
Aug 10, 2003
South Jersey
Behr and I took a ride up to Boot's Tavern near Buck Run. There was some good possiblities of house locations, no cellar holes though. I have been to "the Bucks" which is now a corn field on private property. I tried to go to the Half Moon tavern, but I think that is also on private property. I could be wrong about that.

alfonso

Explorer
Oct 9, 2003
bayville
Visit site
i believe borderwarker and i are close to the taverns site and will report are finds . theres two spots we need to check out . ones borderwalkers spot and ones my own .i believe it's findable.