Taylorstown?

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Is anyone familiar with an old town called Taylorstown (Taylor town) not Tylortown? If it did exist it may have been in the Tabernacle -Shamong - Medford area of Burlington County.

Don:

I can’t be positive of the location for Taylorstown , but I can make an educated guess. :)

On 11 January 1855, Martha R. Dobbins, widow of Edward T. Dobbins, placed a sale notice in the New Jersey Mirror:

Public sale to be held on Monday February 5, 1855, on the premises, the farm known as the “Nauvoo Farm,” late of Edward T. Dobbins, deceased, situated on the road leading from the Red Lion Tavern to Taylorstown, and near the Tabernacle, adjoining lands of Richard Haines, Cranmers and others, containing about 25 acres of land. There is on the farm a fine apple orchard. The improvements are a substantial one and a half story house with two rooms and a kitchen on the first floor also a good barn with stabling, persons wishing to purchase can view the farm by calling on John Ragers, living thereon, conditions at sale. Martha R. Dobbins. (1855:3)

Edward T. Dobbins died on 7 May 1845 at the age of 49.

Based on the names of the surrounding property holders and the location of “Mrs. Dobbins” farm, I would place Taylorstown in the area of Union School (J.P. Taylor lives nearby) on the 1849 Otley and Whiteford county map:

1849 Taylorstown.jpg

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Jerseyman, This info is great, no problem following you.

Every time we raise the bar you come through, raising us a little higher as well. Your quick and accurate response is not only amazing it is GREATLY APPRECIATED

Don

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
I believe that Jerseyman’s “educated guess” is spot on. It was that New Jersey Mirror article that first made me aware of a place called Taylorstown. The area around Tabernacle (or The Tabernacle) was thick as thieves with Taylors in times past. Narrowing down the exact spot has proven somewhat difficult. I was given a false lead that suggested the place may have been along Dingletown Road where it makes the sharp turn toward 206 and not far from Indian Mills. The map that Jerseyman references and others leaves little doubt that the location was along what is now Old Indian Mills Road in Tabernacle between Flyatt Road and Tuckerton Road.

I think that the Richard Haines farm mentioned in the Mirror article was along the lane that heads east from Old Indian Mills Road. There are still descendants of this family living on that farm!

The real clincher for me, however, is a map of the short-lived Coaxon Township (thanks Jerseyman!) which later formed a large piece of Southampton Township. It dates from the 1840’s and believe it or not, this section of Old Indian Mills Road is labeled Taylor Town Road. The map seems to identify only prominent landowners in the area and sure enough Samuel Taylor makes his residence in this spot. In fact, the Isaiah Haines property shown between the two red arrows on Jerseyman’s map reference appears to have once been Samuel Taylor’s and may pinpoint the exact location of Taylorstown.

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
Also from the New Jersey Mirror (Jan 29, 1913)

. . . said farm being designated in said will as the "Carmely Farm,"(sic.) and which in the deed from Thomas Carmely and wife to Ezekiel Wright, bearing date the fifth day of January, 1851, . . . . is bounded and described as follows: BEGINNING at a stone corner to Thomas Naylor and Joseph Naylor, Jr., from which it runs (1) South two degrees and forty-five minutes East twenty-two chains and fifty links to a stake corner to Thomas Naylor's land; thence (2) North eighty-eight degrees and thirty-seven minutes East fourteen chains and ninety-three links to a stake corner to Caleb and Benjamin Shreve, in the line of John Naylor's land and in the Taylor Road; thence (3) along the road, North four degrees East, twenty-two chains and fifteen links to a stake corner to Samuel Taylor's land; thence (4) South eighty-eight degrees and thirty-seven minutes West, nine chains and sixty-four links to a post corner to Hannah Sweet; thence (5) North one degree and forty minutes East five chains and seventy links to a stone corner to Hannah Sweet and John P. Taylor's line; thence (6) along Taylor's line North fifty-one degrees and thirty minutes West three chains and sixty-two links to a post corner to John P. Taylor's land; thence (7) by the same North eighteen degrees and thirty minutes East two chains and twenty-two links to a sone(sic.) corner to late John P. Taylor's; thence (8) along John P. Taylor's line North, seventy-six degrees West, four chains and ninety-seven links to a stake by a white-oak, old corner, in the original line of John P. Taylor's land; thence (9) South six degrees West eleven chains and twenty-two links to the place of beginning, containing forty-two acres and seventy-seven hundredths of an acre of land, the same more or less.

Naylor's property was in the vicinity of "Oriental" a.k.a. "Naylor's Corner" where Old Indian Mills Road crosses Tuckerton which is a stones throw away. Perhaps Samuel Taylor's land and John P. Taylor's land made up Taylorstown.

Reactions: Don Catts
Oriental:

I’ve been anxiously looking out the window wondering and waiting for you to arrive in this thread! Thanks for not disappointing me! :)

Yes, I checked the Coaxen Township map to make sure I had the proper road before proceeding with posting the sale notice and the 1849 map detail, which provided more of the information I needed to properly interpolate and connect the cadastral information with the sale notice. I felt pretty comfortable about my “educated guess,” so I appreciate your approbation.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
Based on the names of the surrounding property holders and the location of “Mrs. Dobbins” farm, I would place Taylorstown in the area of Union School (J.P. Taylor lives nearby) on the 1849 Otley and Whiteford county map:

View attachment 4087

Best regards,
Jerseyman

This Otley and Whiteford map has always interested me. Does it suggest that there was a place called Union? If so, how big an area did it include? There doesn't seem to be much evidence for a village in the area (just a collection of farms). The Union School House is a little more that half a mile as the crow flies.

Also, does anyone know if it was named for the intersection or union of the three townships there?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Oriental

Oriental:

I suspect the topoynym “Union” was derived from the school, although I can’t write with certitude for this location. A “union” school is one that served several districts or groups of parents where either not enough money or not enough students existed to operate a single school, so the citizens form a union school, often in a location equidistant from each of the districts or groups of parents sending their children for education.

Both George Flemming and Kaser indicate that the Union Schoolhouse was built in 1859. Yet, there is very clearly a schoolhouse marked on the Otley and Whiteford map. I have looked through my pre-1850 state superintendent reports with no results, so it is unclear the date of establishment for the school.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
Thanks for your kind words, Don. I am always happy to help out with such questions!

Stizkidz:

What part of southern Ocean County are you seeking?

Best regards,
Jerseyman

I must have missed your reply.

I was looking for early maps of Tuckerton and/or Little Egg Harbor.