ten mile hollow

alfonso

Explorer
Oct 9, 2003
bayville
Visit site
hows about we have a clean up day there . its such in bad shape . lets put our love for the old and lost to the test .it makes me sad to see such a inportant place get even more lost . to the woods ? hows about it?

B

bach2yoga

maybe we'll find the graves while we're there....
renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Alfonso and BorderWalker knew where it was. Jessica, Bob, his wife, and I, visited there this weekend with them and toured the site. There is nothing left except steel poles that were aparently used to fence the area in to try to save it. People can't leave things along and they have removed every stone there. BorderWalker has a really cool newspaper article written by Beck in 1962 showing the grave stone of Zeb Collins and talking about the site. BorderWalker I believe also mentioned that the Boy Scouts tried in the past to keep it up but that did not prevail.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/HollowFieldCemetary.jpg

Guy

ANNM

Dec 3, 2003
Guy, Jessica, Tom and Alfonso.,
I have some pics from the outing at ten mile hollow...What a great outing...I really enjoyed you guys and having you all over for lunch...
The cemetery was really a most interesting place wasn't it? I will post our pics soon as a nested album in bobs photos...Dover Forge and "Currousoville" were fun too. ..Jessica bring a heavier coat next time....Guy we have alot to show you down here still...Alfonso , that metal detector came in handy, huh? Tom it is really nice to know such a young man is interested in the history of the pines and does his research...See ya on our next adventure.:D
Ann

ANNM

Dec 3, 2003
Alfonso,
The clean up day sounds good.....maybe we can get Guy and Jessica out some more around here on the same day..
Ann :wink:

B

bach2yoga

TeeGate said:

Guy,
Do you have the GPS coordinates (silly question to ask you! )
or a target on a topo you could email me? Ben and Laura and my family were out a couple of weeks ago looking for it but haven't had a chance to get out again to look for it. I'd really like to see the grave site, they are one of the most fascinating things to me about the Pines, especially those graves that are tucked away back in some mysterious corner, off the beaten path. Makes you wonder about times gone by, who they were, where they lived, what were their lives like....

BTW, Guy, the tracks Joe was looking for, we were recently told that they probably do exist, but were not specifically part of a railroad system but rather a way to get items for manufacturing or that were manufactured from one place to another, without being tied into the railroad system. Apparently a number of those exist in various places through the pines.

Also, are you freeing up any time soon to head out for my personal "Black's stone?"

Thanks!

Alfonso,

We did a cleanup as a group last year at Hermann City. This could be an annual thing, I think it's a great idea.

Renee

BorderWalker

Scout
Jun 26, 2003
Middlesex, NJ
Yep, it was a fun outing. We certainly covered a lot of ground. Credit goes to Bob for locating the cemetery. It's a tricky spot to find unless you know where to look. The problem with me was that I was looking everywhere except there. :) Ann, kudos on your find at Dover Forge. We probably would have never even noticed it otherwise. Guy, yeah, it is a shame. I wondered if there was anyone still alive that might know the layout of the graves, but I doubt it. Still, it wouldn't take much to straighten up the site. I wonder how much a wooden sign listing the families buried there would cost.

--Tom

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BorderWalker said:
Still, it wouldn't take much to straighten up the site. I wonder how much a wooden sign listing the families buried there would cost.

--Tom

Is the list you have complete? Who owns the property?

Guy

alfonso

Explorer
Oct 9, 2003
bayville
Visit site
air park maybe, theres another trail on the north side of the air park . i wounder if thats a back way in to ten mile. its a large trail .or maybe another lost area

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
ANNM said:
Guy, Jessica, Tom and Alfonso.,
I have some pics from the outing at ten mile hollow...What a great outing...I really enjoyed you guys and having you all over for lunch...
The cemetery was really a most interesting place wasn't it? I will post our pics soon as a nested album in bobs photos...Dover Forge and "Currousoville" were fun too. ..Jessica bring a heavier coat next time....Guy we have alot to show you down here still...Alfonso , that metal detector came in handy, huh? Tom it is really nice to know such a young man is interested in the history of the pines and does his research...See ya on our next adventure.:D
Ann

Ann,

I am looking forward to viewing the photo's. I told Jessica you said to wear a warmer coat, and she said she has a sweatshirt and a winter coat on. She only weighs 90 pounds so there is not much fat to keep her warm.

Looking forward to another visit to some interesting places in the area, and thanks again for inviting all of us back for lunch.

Guy

BorderWalker

Scout
Jun 26, 2003
Middlesex, NJ
The list was recalled by Jim Branson from memory and written down by Margaret Britton in 1978--both who are descendents of those buried there. It's neither complete nor accurate, but I did a bit of work matching the names with genealogical records to correct whatever I could. Still have to do a write up on that. (One of many things to do. :rolleyes:)

As for who owns it, I think Alfonso's right. I have a recent map indicating the surrounding area is part of the Robert J. Miller Airpark and Recreation Area.

B

bach2yoga

She needs more layers. I was under 100 lbs til college, and tend to run only 115. Definately needs more layers, insulating layers.

Renee

Ann,
. I told Jessica you said to wear a warmer coat, and she said she has a sweatshirt and a winter coat on. She only weighs 90 pounds so there is not much fat to keep her warm.

Looking forward to another visit to some interesting places in the area, and thanks again for inviting all of us back for lunch.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

bach2yoga said:
She needs more layers.

Renee

Also, she should try to buy men's insulated thermals rather than women's, (cheaper) maybe at the army navy, or else buy from REI or Bean's or something that is specifically made for women (pricier but usually lighter and less bulky with the same warmth). The stuff you buy that is sold as women's thermals is really just fashion type, and pj type of stuff with that crappy "waffle" weave that doesn't work as well.

Another thing---when I'm enroute in the vehicle, I keep the heat down as much as I comfortably can so I don't get to comfy in the heat, and I also strip down to only my T-shirt, then put the rest of my layers on when I get there. I will do that with my wool outer socks as well.

Renee

BorderWalker

Scout
Jun 26, 2003
Middlesex, NJ
Renee:
Another thing---when I'm enroute in the vehicle, I keep the heat down as much as I comfortably can so I don't get to comfy in the heat ...
Yeah, I'm kicking myself for not doing that on Sunday. I went from a toasty 80 degrees down to whatever it was. I'll have to try that next time, thanks!

Bob:
Check this one out Tom and Al. Ever see it before?
Nope, can't say I have. Nice find! Is that the book Al's talking about? I wonder if there's any landmarks in that picture that we could line up in the present day location. I can't tell.

B

bach2yoga

ANNM said:
Alfonso,
The clean up day sounds good.....maybe we can get Guy and Jessica out some more around here on the same day..
Ann :wink:

Sounds like fun, we'd love to get out more around that area as well.

Renee