Terrain viewer issue with Ease of Access settings

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Just tried the link in both Edge and Chrome on Windows 10. Looks like that for me too. Let's see if anyone else can reproduce the issues that Bob is having.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob: Looking closer, that doesn't even appear to be the same link. I can't make my link look anything like that screenshot.
I know, I was kind of puzzled by that too. Here's Chrome:

1689194138697.png

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Curiouser and curiouser, that just isn't the same link somehow. Joe's screenshot looks just like mine however. Can you copy a link to that image and paste it into a post? I would like to see if it is getting changed somehow.

Who is your ISP? Comcast? I wonder if they have some kind of feature that is supposed to speed up your internet connection that uses caching? Do you have any kind of plug-ins in your browser(s)? Or have you changed any settings that might affect graphics? I really can't figure this one out!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Thanks. Nothing wrong with that link, it looks just like the screenshots that Joe and I posted. Weird. Hoping that a few other people will also try these link(s) and post what they get.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I'm stumped by this. Only explanation I can think of is that Comcast is somehow trying to speed up your internet connection by caching and even compressing or re-sizing images. It appears that you are only getting the area marked with the white outline in the mountainous terrain. And you are completely missing the details, plus the colors are different due to the missing data.

crop.png

How about this link? Do you see the whole map or only part of it?

https://boydsmaps.com/terra/#39.737.../0/0/0/-1014/859/986/44.25/1/2d/ortho/0/0/z15

aerial.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Even more confused now :confused: That link was for the 6 mile scale but something is causing you to only download part of it. This is the approximate area of your screenshot overlaid on mine. Makes no sense to me, it seems to be a random size, not something like half the size. And it's not just a smaller section, the resolution seems to actually be lower so you aren't getting all the detail that should be there.

weird.png

Could this be a memory issue of some sort? I wouldn't think so, but what do you see in the performance tab of the Windows Task Manager (right-click the task bar at the bottom of the screen. This is what I see with Edge as the only app that is open.

Screen Shot 2023-07-13 at 6.34.20 AM.png

I wonder if you have changed some settings somewhere or added some kind of app that filters internet data? You seem to be having the same problems in both Chrome and Edge, so I don't think it's a setting in those apps.

Something really weird is going on here and I have no idea what is causing it. I really wish a few more people would try the links I've posted. Just try this one quickly:

https://boydsmaps.com/terra/#37.823.../0/2000/775/-2000/80.25/2/3d/shader40/0/0/z15

This is what it should look like. Does it?

Screen Shot 2023-07-13 at 6.47.26 AM.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Thanks. That looks fine too. We need a few others to also try this, so I can determine if it only affects Bob or if it's a bigger problem. Also, who is your internet provider?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Seems like you have plenty of free memory. Here's another idea. What kind of anti-virus software do you have? Maybe it has some feature that is preventing you from downloading the full amount of data? I have Trend Micro and they have special features for Edge and Chrome that I am *not* using.

I think that is also Comcast, isn't it? Is that also what you have Bob, or is Xfinity something different? I have FIOS (Verizon).

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Seems like you have plenty of free memory. Here's another idea. What kind of anti-virus software do you have? Maybe it has some feature that is preventing you from downloading the full amount of data? I have Trend Micro and they have special features for Edge and Chrome that I am *not* using.

I think that is also Comcast, isn't it? Is that also what you have Bob, or is Xfinity something different? I have FIOS (Verizon).
Yes, comcast and xfinity are the same. I have Norton Antivirus.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Check to see if Norton has any settings that would affect Edge and Chrome (I'm sure they do). Try temporarily disabling them, or just turn Norton off completely for long enough to do a test with some of the links posted here.

My current thinking is that (for unknown reasons) your browser is re-sizing the PNG images that contain the elevation data. This has the effect of reducing the coverage area, lowering the resolution and creating artifacts that cause the spikes. I can't think of any reason why this would happen under normal circumstances, however you should stop using my site until we can figure it out. You are getting very distorted data that is nothing like what it should be. :(