Terraserver aerial photo's not working?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you use a Mac program or USAPhotoMaps, try using the aerial portion of it in an area you have never ben before. Is it working for you? I can see an aerial photo's that are not in my cache.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I'm going back to a PC -- one of the main reasons being that I want to use USAPhotoMaps and can't without having to fire up Parallels or use Crossover (which doesn't work 100% anyway.)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Perhaps it's an evil plot by Microsoft? First they take it away, then when you get desparate it will return... for a "small fee" :)

BTW, I have been using MacGPS Pro and find it really useful. It will let you create maps from any source (terraserver, google, scans) by identifying a few known coordinates.

http://www.macgpspro.com/

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You make it seem that it is the Mac you don't like, but the truth is you don't like using Windows...am I correct? I run USAPhotoMaps just fine but it requires booting into Windows from the Mac side.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Well, I didn't want to turn this into a "why I can't stand my Mac" discussion, but here goes:

* The damn home & end keys don't work on the Mac the way they do in Windows and Linux. I actually use those keys ALL the time and them not working the way that they're supposed to do slows me down.
* Sleep/Wake isn't as reliable as it is under Windows. When I am done with my laptop and want to bring it home from work, I just close the lid and toss it in my bag. With OSX it takes upwards of 30 seconds from the time that I close the lid to when it goes to sleep, whereas in Windows it's like 10 seconds.
* Support for my new scanner (CanoScan 8400F) sucks. It's not a universal binary so it has to run in Rosetta, which makes it slow. Same thing for Photoshop, Acrobat, etc.
* Connecting to my Exchange server at work is a pain. MS Entourage claims that it works with Exchange but it's extremely tempermental. Sometimes it won't even check mail at all.
* Remote Desktop Client for OSX will only let me open up one connection to my servers at a time. The Windows version will let me have multiple ones open.
* No profile support in terminal. I can't save a bunch of profiles for servers that I need to ssh into like I can in PuTTY under Windows.
* No good SCP client for OSX
* Quicktime sucks for viewing movies that are not in Quicktime format. Perian is okay but it's not there yet. Don't even get me started on the shitheap that is VLC.
* Preview sucks for viewing a bunch of images in a folder. Why can't I use the arrow keys to go to the next image in the folder?
* No nested album support in iPhoto

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The fact is if you are running Windows, USAPhotoMaps works. I don't understand the problem.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
* No good SCP client for OSX

Hmm... a bunch of those seem like pretty minor issues to me, but if they're deal breakers for you then you'll probably be happier back in the Windows environment that you're accustomed to. I've never really looked into it, but there must be some way to remap those keys. I have a friend who uses Entourage and does nothing but complain; I stay far away from it myself. Eventually Adobe will release Intel versions of their majors apps but who knows when.

But check out Fugu if you need scp and sftp. I just found it recently and it seems to do a very nice job - it's free:

http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/fugu/

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have a friend who uses Entourage and does nothing but complain; I stay far away from it myself.
http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/fugu/

There is no better mail program for a Mac than Entourage. I have tried quite a few of them and I gave up on all of them. The only probelm I have with Entourage is it is not accelarated for Intel. Somewhat slow.

I can't complain about Microsoft when it comes to email programs. The best!

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Not so. I just get X's if I try to load more data. Noticed it last night. Still no good.

I did not mean today. If I am correct Ben does not use Windows, so if he did USAPhotoMaps would work fine. Am I right Ben that you do not use Windows?

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes I know, but Ben is talking about it not working with the operating System he is using.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Yeah, right now I have OSX 10.4.8 running on a MacBook Pro. If I want to run USAPhotoMaps I either have to use Crossover Mac which does not work well (does not download anything -- tried before they went down), or run Windows XP inside Parallels Desktop which is a pain.

I traded a Dell laptop for this Macbook. I'm trading the Macbook back for another Dell laptop.

Oh, and remapping the keys works with any Cocoa app (which is helpful for Firefox at least) but doesn't work in Terminal.app, which is where I spend a lot of my time. And I am not a huge fan of Fugu. It works, but not all that well.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Once a PC user always a PC user! The Terminal is the most un Mac like program there is, and that is why I stay away from it except when running root to hack a program or to remove non English files. It is as archaic as Dos. I like to have fun when I use my computer, not have to type Terminal commands. I got weary of that real quick.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Well, it's a bash shell. It's what I have to deal with when managing my Linux servers at work and this website.

OSX is built ontop of OpenBSD which is a total departure from the previous Mac environments (System 7, OS8, OS9, etc.) In my opinion it's a step in the right direction, although in many, many aspects you can tell that they just manhandled Finder on top of the BSD system.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Actually that's very ironic Guy.... like it or not, behind the Mac user interface is a BSD Unix system and the terminal program is the interface to that. I learned unix using a Vt-220 terminal on a VAX-11/750 running BSD back in 1985. The VAX was the size of a washing machine and there was a disk drive about the same size next to it. Seen from that perspective, even the lowliest Mac Mini is certainly hundreds, if not thousands, of times more powerful than that mini-computer. So I think the terminal program is one of the coolest things about the mac because all that history is still buried inside the machine.

It's also very ironic that the terminal reminds you of DOS! True, it is a command line interface, but the similarities end there. Now admittedly, the terminal application is something that most Mac users don't need or even know exists. But the fact that it's there is really significant. MacOS 9 was really a hack that was getting uglier and uglier - a lot like Windows. There was no terminal interface to OS 9, and there was no real multi-tasking. Switching the Mac to Unix was a really bold move for Steve Jobs, and today it continues to pay off.... the proof is in the pudding:

http://finance.yahoo.com/charts#cha...ine;crosshair=on;logscale=on;source=undefined

Sorry for the rant...

Ben, I haven't ever felt the need to mess with termcaps in Terminal, but you can set your terminal type using the shell and also in the Terminal preferences. Looks like all the stuff is there, try man terminfo. Or doesn't this stuff really work?

I'm sure there are plenty of issues with using a Mac in a windows office environment though, so it may not be the right choice for that purpose. Why not just boot it directly into windows though instead of messing with Parallels, etc?