Texas Tower #4

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
EC, nice pictures of a bygone time. Not knowing you then or now I can't say we ever dove together. I didn't make every TT trip. There were more mates on the Robin than just me. We took turns so all would get a chance to dive the TT. Some of the trips were during the week and I had to work. Dive boat mates back then were not paid. The long trip to and from was long for us. Somebody had to stand watch while the capt took a nap. I actually grew tired of the TT because of the long trip for just one dive and let others take my place unless the boat was shorthanded.

My boat was a 28' inboard diesel docked across from the Robin II. I didn't run public charters, instead stayed private only taking divers I met and trusted along the way from working on 3 boats. All gone now, sold the boat and dive gear about 10 years ago. I have to admit those were the best of times.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I have several NOAA buoy stations saved in my phone that I monitor for fishing weather in the summer. Although I never fish that far north, I always like to glance at the Texas Tower #4 buoy (44066) during stormy weather. There's usually a major ass-kicker going on out there when we are getting hit hard closer to shore.

44009 is the one I monitor the most. It's called the Delaware Bay Buoy but it is actually far southeast of the mouth of D'Bay in the ocean off of the DE MD border.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have several NOAA buoy stations saved in my phone that I monitor for fishing weather in the summer. Although I never fish that far north, I always like to glance at the Texas Tower #4 buoy (44066) during stormy weather. There's usually a major ass-kicker going on out there when we are getting hit hard closer to shore.

44009 is the one I monitor the most. It's called the Delaware Bay Buoy but it is actually far southeast of the mouth of D'Bay in the ocean off of the DE MD border.
Very interesting. I got wrapped up on lightships last night too, reading a 1936 National Geographic. The Nantucket lightship was rammed and sunk by the liner Olympic in dense fog in 1934. They've had one out there since 1854. The boats have huge mushroom anchors. The light bouy restoration program intrigued me too. Back then they were (and maybe still are but I doubt it) periodically replacing the acetylene gas tanks they used.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Very interesting. I got wrapped up on lightships last night too, reading a 1936 National Geographic. The Nantucket lightship was rammed and sunk by the liner Olympic in dense fog in 1934. They've had one out there since 1854. The boats have huge mushroom anchors. The light bouy restoration program intrigued me too. Back then they were (and maybe still are but I doubt it) periodically replacing the acetylene gas tanks they used.
An area that I fish regularly off Cape May is called Five Fathom Bank. It's a several mile-long string of shoals that rise to just 30' of water, marked at the north end by 2FB and at the south end by 4FB. The Five Fathom Bank Lightship marked the south end until 1966 when it was replaced by 4FB.
Inside the Harborview, one of our favorite watering holes, they have a replica of the lightship mounted over the bar.

I have a lot of photos of 4FB and we troll right to the edge of it for mahi and blues in the summer.
This NOAA chart shows all of my favorite areas to fish, without actual waypoints. :D Five Fathom Bank is on this chart.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
An area that I fish regularly off Cape May is called Five Fathom Bank. It's a several mile-long string of shoals that rise to just 30' of water, marked at the north end by 2FB and at the south end by 4FB. The Five Fathom Bank Lightship marked the south end until 1966 when it was replaced by 4FB.
Inside the Harborview, one of our favorite watering holes, they have a replica of the lightship mounted over the bar.

I have a lot of photos of 4FB and we troll right to the edge of it for mahi and blues in the summer.
This NOAA chart shows all of my favorite areas to fish, without actual waypoints. :D Five Fathom Bank is on this chart.
That's probably a very interesting job; updating those charts due to shifting shoals, changes in traffic, and what not. What do you use to navigate Scott. Do you have a garmin that uses the same NOAA chart built in? As a small draft are you free to ignore some of the warmings and lanes that the big ships must adhere to?

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I've been to the Harborview deck, because they allow dogs but have never been inside. What do you like about it?

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton

Red, one of the lightship masts was a eatery landmark for decades along side of Route 130 as it crosses through Yardville. I forgot about the Giovi's beacon until I saw the ship in your link.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Red, one of the lightship masts was a eatery landmark for decades along side of Route 130 as it crosses through Yardville. I forgot about the Giovi's beacon until I saw the ship in your link.

That is a great article Gibby. I used to come home from college for the weekend on Fridays in the late 70's/early80's traveling south from Rutgers. I would use 130 a lot to break up the monotony of the NJTP and I remember Giovi's and the light structure vividly.

Reactions: Gibby

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I've been to the Harborview deck, because they allow dogs but have never been inside. What do you like about it?
The inside is much quieter Ed and the menu is completely different than outside. The inside menu is far better and isn't comprised of bar food. The bartenders are more personable too because it is usually less crowded and more relaxed.

They always have at least one craft beer on tap and their mixed drinks are potent and eye-crossing. No measuring the shots, just good, long pours. My wife and always get Rum Runners there and they are the best around. The owner is always inside and is an interesting guy. He is a Captain and he owned the Miss Chris Fleet from the late 80's until 2014. He is a Chef inside.

Reactions: ecampbell

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
The inside is much quieter Ed and the menu is completely different than outside. The inside menu is far better and isn't comprised of bar food. The bartenders are more personable too because it is usually less crowded and more relaxed.

They always have at least one craft beer on tap and their mixed drinks are potent and eye-crossing. No measuring the shots, just good, long pours. My wife and always get Rum Runners there and they are the best around. The owner is always inside and is an interesting guy. He is a Captain and he owned the Miss Chris Fleet from the late 80's until 2014. He is a Chef inside.
Thanks Scott, I'll give it a try. I always liked the Miss Chris. This Lady Chris was a piece of art.
P1020199s.jpg

P1020203s.jpg

P1020210s.jpg

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Last edited:
Reactions: RednekF350