The Berlin Wall

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Actually, Berlin, Germany, looks a lot South Jersey. It is part of the great ice-marginal sand belt, with similar ice age features I work on here in the Pine Barrens. Berliners only learned how to productively farm their sandy ground during the last 200 years. That skill came in handy when German farmers settled the Pines in the 1840s (Folsom) and 1850s (Egg Harbor City). Even the weeds look the same.

IMG_8845_k.jpg
Leibniz-Centre for Agricultural Landscape Research east of Berlin.​

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
Actually, Berlin, Germany, looks a lot South Jersey. It is part of the great ice-marginal sand belt, with similar ice age features I work on here in the Pine Barrens. Berliners only learned how to productively farm their sandy ground during the last 200 years. That skill came in handy when German farmers settled the Pines in the 1840s (Folsom) and 1850s (Egg Harbor City). Even the weeds look the same.

Leibniz-Centre for Agricultural Landscape Research east of Berlin.​

That's very interesting Spung-Man. I didn't see that when I was there, but I was't looking at things through your eyes.

I loved walking through the Grunewald.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Berlin is a great place for a capital city. I mean this in a nice way, the place is like a clean safe Baltimore with lots of arts and culture. Locals are addicted to currywurst (hot dogs swimming in spicy ketchup). Hey, we put maple syrup on scrapple, so who am I to judge? Eastern Germany is more like South Jersey than western Germany, with a laid-back culture and subtle sandy terrain. Now I'm curious if Berlin, NJ, was so-named because it reminded someone of eastern Germany. Wright (1979: 14, The History of Berlin, New Jersey [Long-A-Coming]) states that it is unknown why in 1867 Long-A-Coming was renamed Berlin, or even who changed it. He added that for decades the new name was not appreciated by older residents.

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
I landed in Frankfurt for a fuel stop on the way to Saudi Arabia. I could see woods in the distance.Looked like White Pine?

I'm pretty sure that I had to stop in Frankfurt, but I was so tired that I really don't remember. My brother landed a few civilian contracts in The Kingdom. Nice pay when when you can get it.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Never seen a beautiful city myself but I hear Prague is supposedly beautiful.
Two weeks ago I had this very same conversation with a group of Europeans after presenting on wind-faceted stones from the Pine Barrens in Portugal. I relayed that Berlin was my favorite European capital, and all shook their heads no and said I should have chosen Prague, including two Berlin residents. Good choice, Manumuskin! It's one to put on the bucket list.

Reactions: manumuskin

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
Berlin is a great place for a capital city. I mean this in a nice way, the place is like a clean safe Baltimore with lots of arts and culture. Locals are addicted to currywurst (hot dogs swimming in spicy ketchup). Hey, we put maple syrup on scrapple, so who am I to judge? Eastern Germany is more like South Jersey than western Germany, with a laid-back culture and subtle sandy terrain. Now I'm curious if Berlin, NJ, was so-named because it reminded someone of eastern Germany. Wright (1979: 14, The History of Berlin, New Jersey [Long-A-Coming]) states that it is unknown why in 1867 Long-A-Coming was renamed Berlin, or even who changed it. He added that for decades the new name was not appreciated by older residents.

I looked at the currywurst and ordered something else; weisswurst I believe. This was at a food truck Imbiss downtown. I really liked being able wash down the sausage with a bier...in public...on the sidewalk.

I'm also guilty of pouring maple syrup on scrapple. Mom never served that. My friend Judy from Virginia Introduced me to scrapple, fried oatmeal and goldenrod eggs about ten years ago. There was always syrup on the table when scrapple or oatmeal was served.

I've often wondered why Long-A-Coming was renamed Berlin. There were a lot of German immigrants in PA. I suspect that has something to do with it.

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
I"ve Google Earthed Prague and it does seem to be quite clean and I can find no traces of a slum anywhere.

I think that every city has a slum area. Berlin looked very, very clean to me.When I was there, Kreuzberg neighborhood was the slummy area. I couldn't go there because there were riots and bombings. My German professor had to cancel the semi-annual student party because of the potential risk to nonresidents.

I didn't ask to live live in Berlin, but I loved living there. I've never wanted to visit Prague, though I'm sure that I would love that, too.