The bridge on Atison Basto Rd has been washed out and the road is closed, just a FYI

Demolition_x

Feb 16, 2011
Was out yesterday and the bridge / corrugated metal pipe is damaged and washed out. The Park Police have the area taped off and it is impassible. Just a heads up if you are traveling that way.

Attachments

• IMG_4583.jpg
    IMG_4583.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_4582.jpg
    IMG_4582.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_4581.jpg
    IMG_4581.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 298

Demolition_x

Feb 16, 2011
Yep Ashame, it's been that way for at least 2-3 years. No plans to fix it anytime soon I guess.....................

A few weeks ago it was passable the pipe was showing some wear and tear but it wasn't nearly as bad.

We will see when and if they fix it.

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
I know I checked out that road in April of 2010 and it was washed out pretty bad, and seemed to get worse in June of 2010. Later in the summer I noticed the pipe was starting to get damaged from people trying to drive over it. It looked as though their transfer cases were piercing through it and then they were either "rocking it out" or getting pulled or winched which tore the metal apart. Now that the pipe is torn like that the sand can't just be covered back up as it will continue to run through into the pipe itself creating drainage problems. Someone would have to patch it before the pipe is covered back over. Some bricks, rocks, and sand has been piled on either side allowing the motorcycles to get across.

I'm guessing it hasn't been fixed in a while because of how remote it is out there, not to mention that super deep sugar sand in both directions. I'm sure the forest service is going to wait until they really need that road in a fire and then use a dozer to cover the pipes back up. If they fix it now, and then don't need the road for another year or two and it washes out again in the meantime, it will just be wasted money. I don't know for sure though, just a guess.