The call of the wild

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
or mountain lions.. they were native to the PB's at one time, right ? killed off by farmers.. isn't that where the phrase "Red Lion" got it's origin (i.e the diner, the inn, the airport). is there actually a town called Red Lion or is it just a local phrase for a part of southampton ?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
controlling deer population i would imagine.. we've eliminated so many of their predators. i think it'd be a good idea to bring some back.

A logical guess, but I don't think the state would bring coyote in to manage deer populations. there are easier and far more controllable approaches. As far as I know, there are no farms or breeders for the eastern coyote.

Jeff

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
So what are the differneces between coyote and wolf. Is it mainly aggressiveness and hunting style?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
So what are the differneces between coyote and wolf. Is it mainly aggressiveness and hunting style?

I am no expert, but based off of what I have read I suppose the main differences are that coyotes are more adaptive to their environment and require less open space. Coyotes and wolves have historically been very competitive with each other. The coyotes' ability to adapt to human intrusion and to be more oportunistic eaters has lead to a higher level of success for them. They are very clever.

They are also more likely to be solitary and not as reliant on the pack dynamic. Both have an instinctual fear of man, but it seems coyote are losing this fear in some areas. Fortunitely this has not been the case in the pinebarrens.

Jeff

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
jeff, that is something i would love to hear.. i'll bring a 6 pack (let's not impair ourselves too much) and we can listen for some howling.. and if nothing is happening, let the riding stories begin.. whatcha say ?

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
A few years ago I was driving out of the woods on Carranza road, about a mile after it became blacktop and a coyote came out of the woods behind me. It just stood in the road looking at me and when I backed up to get a closer look it took off. Later that week, I read in the newspaper that a resident on Carranza road (the last house on the right if heading East towards Carranza) just had his donkey killed by a coyote. I often wonder if it was the same coyote that I saw.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
jeff, that is something i would love to hear.. i'll bring a 6 pack (let's not impair ourselves too much) and we can listen for some howling.. and if nothing is happening, let the riding stories begin.. whatcha say ?

Sorry Bob I missed this post. That sounds good. The coyote howling is hit or miss. and when it does happen it is usually very late. But I would like to take you up on a 6-pack some day, but what are you gonna drink? ha, ha.

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
A few years ago I was driving out of the woods on Carranza road, about a mile after it became blacktop and a coyote came out of the woods behind me. It just stood in the road looking at me and when I backed up to get a closer look it took off. Later that week, I read in the newspaper that a resident on Carranza road (the last house on the right if heading East towards Carranza) just had his donkey killed by a coyote. I often wonder if it was the same coyote that I saw.

That is interesting. I would think that it would have to be one bad-assed coyote to take out a donkey. But I could see a pack taking one down. Do you remember what paper you saw this in? I would like to read the details.

Jeff

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
Sorry Bob I missed this post. That sounds good. The coyote howling is hit or miss. and when it does happen it is usually very late. But I would like to take you up on a 6-pack some day, but what are you gonna drink? ha, ha.

Jeff

me ? well, being a dental nerd, i'll probably have some water w/ fluoride in it .. :guinness:

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
That is interesting. I would think that it would have to be one bad-assed coyote to take out a donkey. But I could see a pack taking one down. Do you remember what paper you saw this in? I would like to read the details.

Jeff
I know a few people up this way who have flocks of sheep, and have donkeys in the pastures with them to protect the sheep from coyotes. They'll chase coyotes and mess them up. I would guess that a few coyotes were required to overtake a donkey. They're tough little guys.