The death of a camera

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford

I bought my Nikon D810 in October 2014.

Being new to landscape photography and figuring I would learn as I go along, I slung it over one shoulder and climbed down onto the arm of an abandoned railroad trestle to get a better angle on some pilings in a salt water tidal stream near the Delaware Bay. Of course, I had to wave my arms to keep my balance, and watched my camera catapult into the air, then drop into the onrushing water.

The stream was deep, the water was salty, the month was November, but I stood there for a moment and almost jumped in fully clothed, to retrieve it. I'm glad that I didn't. Uninsured, new camera and new 16-35 mm Nikon lens.

There is also a 1.4 teleconverter somewhere at the bottom of a beaver dam in the Skit Branch.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
My D-80 died of old age without any abuse. :D Am just using my phone for now, until I really need a DSLR again because I want a full-frame Nikon to replace it and am not in a rush to spend that much.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I want a full-frame Nikon to replace it and am not in a rush to spend that much.

Look into the used market thru a dealer. Only my D70 was purchased new. B&H, Adorama and a local I like, Allens Photoshop in
Levittown PA, see a lot of trade-ups especially with the new mirrorless bodies hitting the market. Just look for low number shutter clicks.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Not going to look at all. Did that when the D80 broke and have a good idea of what I want. But there's no point in looking until I'm ready to buy, and now is not the time. :)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Not going to look at all. Did that when the D80 broke and have a good idea of what I want. But there's no point in looking until I'm ready to buy, and now is not the time. :)

Just a suggestion for when you are ready to shop.