The Death of Twinkies?

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
My last question again with 18,500 jobs on the line.Why did the Government not try to help with the talks?If was Oil or car company's they would have or solar company's that Obama lost millions to. Well I am going to eat a Twinkie and enjoy it

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
How could I forget Wonder Bread? Without it there can be nothing that remotely resembles a peanut butter sandwich.

Don't forget; look for the union label. And consider your next move.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Regarding raises I think the philosophy on this will change and needs to change. Raises should be given if the business model is still growing and able to retain margins or not eat in heavily into margins. As an employee you should choose a business or line of work that has growth, you should be accountable to that. You can't expect continuous salary raises in a business that is fighting headwinds as consumers appetites and diets change. Like Gibby said the business has to innovate and keep up with consumers appetites. Its perfectly understandable to expect raises in a business that has solid growth but not in one that have decelerating earnings and a poor outlook. I don't expect every employee to make good decisions but someone should have seen the writing on the wall for this company. In my industry (finance) we are fighting uncertainty due to the current administration dislike of Wall Street and poor growth because of the hangover of a massive real estate collapse. I personally expect a sticky salary for the next five years, at least that is what I'm planning for.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I work in a field of work that is non union. If our company was doing poorly, we didn't get raises. They also cut our work week to stay in business. That's life.In today's economy, I didn't understand the strike. Now there are over 18,000 people with no jobs. Everyone lost this battle. For myself and family, I'm thankful for the job I have, raise or no raise.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Hostess shutdown on hold:)

The liquidation of Hostess has been put on hold after a federal judge ordered the company and union officials to come back to the table for more talks.
The union that brought the 85-year-old baker of Twinkies and Wonder Bread to its knees was holding out hope that a buyer will salvage chunks of the company and send the union's members back to work, even as Hostess Brands Inc. had geared up for a fire sale.
Hostess, the company behind treats snacked on for generations, presented to a federal bankruptcy judge a plan to shut down 36 plants and sell off the company's business. Their liquidation plan was sparked by a nationwide strike orchestrated by the snack maker's second-largest union, the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers.
http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/19/news/companies/hostess-bankruptcy-bonuses/index.html

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Hostess shutdown on hold:)

The liquidation of Hostess has been put on hold after a federal judge ordered the company and union officials to come back to the table for more talks.
I'd bet that judge is a Ding Dong addict. I wonder if there will be any on that table....​

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
the union had already spelled out what needed to be done in order to produce a viable company.

Really! Labor rules are one of the causes of the failure. A separate driver for each brand to make a delivery to the same store is an example of how things are run. Union driven work rules such as that are ludicrous and there is wonder why the labor costs are so high for the company. Streamline the operation!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
You may be right of course. My point was just that "it ain't over yet". And there is also this: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324307204578129282170898870.html

Private-equity firm Sun Capital, meanwhile, is interested in bidding on Hostess's entire business, said a person close to the firm. The Boca Raton, Fla., buyout shop, which owns the Friendly's restaurant chain and specializes in company turnarounds, would like to try to negotiate a deal with Hostess's unions, the person said. Sun's interest was earlier reported by Fortune.

For mediation to succeed, Judge Drain would have to get the bakers to agree to go back to work, and get Hostess to tweak its labor-contract proposal in a way the union can accept, Mr. Workman said. "He's going to strong-arm both sides to get to some place where they can be comfortable," he added.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
121119051613-hostess-products-story-top.jpg

Hostess liquidation likely as mediation fails

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/20/news/companies/hostess-mediation-fails/index.html?hpt=hp_t2