The Death of Twinkies?

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I'm listening to CNBC and these union members at Hostess who forced this action are total idiots. I just listened to a guy say the company stole his pension, pensions are a thing of the past. Its not ones right to have a pension, the guy was saying he chose to collect unemployment versus taking a 27% salary cut over 3 years. What a joke, liquidate the company selloff the pieces and employ people who will work hard. The sense of entitlement in this country is about to get smack in the face, our economy is changing the guarentees we thought we had as workers in this country were a gift.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The workers in Pennsylvania now get a maximum payment of $539.00 a week from unemployment, with 15% withheld for taxes. After a maximum of 63 weeks that will run out. In that length of time, an unemployed worker could net close to $29k, not a bad take for sitting on one's hind quarters. Of course, when the compensation runs out...

I will get a better return in my IRA and other small investments than counting on any pension. In fact, I think I will get more back on any dollar that I have invested than I will get from social security. I don't understand where this "babysit me" attitude has come from. I was always taught to be self reliant and not to count on anyone, especially the government or big business for anything that involves my future.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
There has been a gradual erosion of being self reliant. Society caters to the weak and smothers the strong, it defies logic and economics. Its the same thing as taxing the rich heavily, eventually their motivation for hard work will stall along with the economy. The people being babysat are constantly rewarded and their actions justified, it will reach a boiling point in the near future. Good luck getting strong asset returns in an IRA. The retail investor has been so thoroughly shaken out of the market that its now run by reckless day traders (me, hah) and algorithmic traders Take apple for instance it put on 150 billion in a month and a half, only to give 200 billion back in a month and a half, all at the expense of investors confidence. Its a range bound see saw that will go sideways for at least the next four years, unless we continue printing money with no end, forcing an asset bubble which will end in another market crash...

A great speech touching on my last thought,
http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/2012/04/my-speech-delivered-at-new-york-federal.html

I'm rambling and jumping off track now, back to Hostess, union screwed all the other workers out of their jobs, sad site...

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I was lost at hello regarding the politics. Today being a day of thanks and all, families are precious.
Seeing a cool Biz like Hostess and it's families go down, a darn shame.

For the Twinkies and many other Hostess products, it's a sadness.
I never dreamed they would go away.
Truly thought that in a Post Apocolyptic, society the only things remaining would be cockroaches and Twinkies, and even the roaches won't eat the damned Twinkies.
My favorite is a Twinkie fresh from the freazer. They are a treat in summer and winter and since you can't ever really freeze the blasted things, they are still tasty, just chewy and stiff.
I can plow through a box as easily as a flock of Buzzards to a rotting piece of roadkill with the same passion.
And, since the buzzards won't touch them either (you would think I would see a pattern here) more for Largo.
I will not be sharing my Twinkies so,,, Peace be with you all today.

Be well,

g.

Reactions: dogg57

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Someone will buy the Twinkie you can bet on that. The twinkie will never die. I'll be honest I love those lemon ice fill cup cakes, those things were incredible when I was a kid.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Dear God, what morons,
http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetel...s-express-no-regret-over-looming-liquidation/

"One worker, Kenneth Johnson, told Reuters: “I’d rather go work somewhere else or draw unemployment” than take another pay cut from Hostess, which he said had lowered his salary, with overtime, to $35,000 last year from about $45,000 five years ago."

The economy has changed since you dip sh_t. Salaries don't have a slope of 1.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Twinkies, Wonder Bread, and Devil Dogs are likely to return to shelves in coming months, but probably not under the same owners.
Hostess Brands Inc. said in bankruptcy court Friday it was narrowing down the bids it received for its brands and expected to sell off its snack cakes and bread to separate buyers. The testimony came from an investment banker for Hostess, which is liquidating.
A likely suitor has emerged for the namesake Hostess brand, which includes Twinkies, Ding Dongs, and Ho Hos, along with Dolly Madison cakes, which includes Coffee Cakes and Zingers, said Joshua Scherer of Perella Weinberg Partners. He said another viable bid was made for Drake's cakes, which includes Devil Dogs, Funny Bones and Yodels. That bidder also wants to buy the Drake's plant in Wayne, N.J., which Scherer said is the country's only kosher bakery plant.