The Early Swedes in New Jersey

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Thank you, Ben, for this interesting summary. The variety of people-groups in South Jersey's early days continues to fascinate me. If you ever find any bits of information about the Huguenots as early settlers, please let me know--or better still, write an article about them!

Glo

strom

Scout
Apr 24, 2004
barnegat. nj
hi ben, enjoyed your article on the early swedes.........................i had heard that one of my relatives had settled in the area nw of chatsworth very early in the 18th century...............supposedly a settlement of four or five houses,called johnson place...........early records indicate that it was a popular indian trail to the shore ,and they camped along a small brook there,supposedly those johnsons were among the few swedes who could tolerate the moskeetoes,as they were called

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have the son of my seventh great grandfather buried in that Swedesboro graveyard about 100 ft from that log cabin.I guess that would make him like a sixth great uncle.His name was Bodo Otto jr.Not exactly swedish.His father my 7th gr grandad was Bodo sr and chief surgeon for George Washington during most of the revolution including Valley Forge.Sr lived from 1711 to 1787.Don't have the dates on Jr.They may not have been legible on the graves.The other one is his wife.
Back in the 70's at bacons farm in Leesburg in a field right next to the river they accidently plowed up a swedisg graveyard,skulls littered the ground from what I heard.They kept plowing it into the 90's when the state bought it.Don't know if they moved the graves or plowed em under.
Al

Attachments

• h.JPG
    h.JPG
    418.3 KB · Views: 454
  • i.JPG
    i.JPG
    358.4 KB · Views: 435