The end of iTunes

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I have plenty of complaints about iTunes, and they seem to make it worse with every update, but it's still how I share my media library throughtout my house with about 600 movies, 600 TV shows and thousands of songs that are stored on little server. That could get a lot more difficult without iTunes. :confused:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/05/31/goodbye-itunes/

"While it was initially reported that iTunes would live on in macOS 10.15, it now looks like the app will be retired, over 18 years after it was introduced by the late Steve Jobs at Macworld on January 9, 2001."

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I have plenty of complaints about iTunes, and they seem to make it worse with every update, but it's still how I share my media library throughtout my house

Turns out that this change may actually be an improvement, but Apple has done a poor job of explaining it. The next version of MacOS makes media sharing an operating system function that you enable from System Preferences. This should be good for a media server - you'll be able to share your library without running iTunes.