The Fox

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Sheesh,
I know you dudes are into the beer thing from reading the thread that won't go away but man... You're starting to get into beers that sound like something from Tolkien.
Can we come back into the plane of man?

g.

Agreed! Give me a Land Shark or a Yeungling....

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I was by last night. Fox is open and upon closer inspection it appears that the sign simply rotted and, fell off. It is a little harder to spot coming up on it without the sign if one does not know where it is.

g.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Or at least meet for a couple drinks and to gawk at the doggone sign.

O.K.,
Drinks good. Must bring cordless drill, some screws, a stool and good intentions. If we're not successful, it'll be much easier to view the sign one on one from ground level in a drunken stupor.
Wonder if she'd part with it? Oh crap... I've come upon an idea.

g.

Nov 18, 2008
Erial, NJ
www.facebook.com
I drove past there yesterday and it looks as if the wind has taken a toll on the sign at the Silver Fox. It is still laying in the vincinity of the frame, maybe someone moved it out of the drive when it fell. It it was vandalism, I am sure it would look worse than it does. Looks pretty much intact to me, just laying on the ground.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I went past the Fox tonight around 6 and the beer distributor was hanging up a large banner over the entrance.
"Gala St. Patricks Party March 14, featuring Girls Light and Killians Irish Red" says the banner.
I went by again a half hour later and it was half off and flapping.
Beer lights were on and no customers yet.
She is still kickin' !

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I just passed 20 minutes ago.... dropped my daughter off at Hammonton H.S. for a school play. Lights on yes, Banner... yeah right.
I thought about stopping in but had shite to do. Will investigate this weekend somehow. Report to follow.
Signage by the way is officially no longer an option.

g.

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Fox

I've always wanted to stop into this place. But even though the lights on, it seemed to be by accident and there were never any cars in the lot. Now I know that it really is open, I'll have to stop in and check it out. In all the years that I've driven past this place, I did notice that the blue car never did move but I didn't notice until a little while ago that some of the tires were flat. Foxy seems like a neat lady. I'm down for a meet up. I'll bring fresh B&T.

Kevin

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
oh man I read this to late, i would have been in if had known earlier.

Sorry man,
I pretty much just gave up. I was gonna go down and check out the Patty's day gig (for what it would be) but I don't feel like heading down there alone. Another body to B.S. with would have been better.
Here I sit.

g.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
This weekend 10/03/09

I stopped into Foxy's tonight on a mission of high importance.
Some much needed research for local folks that might recall an Elm event of years gone by I am tracking down. Where better than a bar for the skinny on things. Oh, and some beverages whilst talking.
Anyhoo, by coinkeedink, her birthday bash is this Saturday. I've never been but it is quite an event as far as I know. Her actual birthday is tomorrow 9/30.
(age not given, gracefully declined whence I inquired cautiously)
I shall be trying to attend at least for a bit to see what's what.
The gig is 7:00 P.M. till.......

FYI

g.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Last night on a whim, after my domestic duties were complete and the children were abed, I decided to take a ride down to the Silver Fox Restaurant and Lounge to offer Foxy a birthday greeting, as she shares her special day with some one I'm very fond of. :rolleyes: I entered the parking lot at 11:40, and to my dismay, I was greeted by darkened neon. There was, however, another car parked next to the (in)famous sky blue caddy, so I pulled in. There was a silhouette at the front door that I assumed was locking the door. The shape then retreated into the darkness and to my delight, the sad Coors Light beacon in the window lit up with pride. I quickly killed my motor and hurried inside. It was not much brighter inside than it was in the parking lot, but two forms could be discerned. I queried, "I hope you didn't stay open just for me?" The response I received immediately put all my fears to rest and made me feel at home. "No, we just returned from dinner and are reopening for the night." At 11:45!! As I walked toward the bar, the younger of the two (Anita) informed me that today was Foxy's birthday. Beaming proudly, sitting on the "fun side" of the bar was a nicely dressed, somewhat elderly lady (Foxy). I informed them it was also my birthday, and that seemed to please the both of them greatly. Reading in previous posts that stated the liquor list was a little on the short side, I just ordered a Bud. The lid on the red Coleman cooler popped open and the ice chunks were expertly wiped off my bottle. :) What a place! It was literally "ice cold", and tasted even better as it was "on the house". The ladies took to me as easily as I took to them, and the conversation just flowed.
I will not get into every detail, but many subjects were covered. From history and Prohibition, to the caddy, children, the Phillies, and especially the upcoming saurez on Sat. night to celebrate Foxy's b-day. Both Foxy and 'Nita spoke with pride on how they love to decorate the place for their various shin-digs throughout the year. There was certainly no lack of subjects to talk about. During the momentary pauses in the conversation, I would look around the room, taking it all in. The surreal feeling that George and Scott spoke of does creep up on you. My head was telling me it is 2009, but it could just as easily have been the 1960's (or '70's even). Hard to explain.
It's the little nuances of the place that make it feel different but comfortable. The ice-filled cooler, the darkened dining area, the old-school juke box, the living room lamp in the northern window or the empty till. The place even has an old style cigarette machine in the wind-break. For my second beer, I laid a Jackson on the bar before I noticed the empty cash drawer hanging half open. Appearing dismayed, 'Nita looked to Foxy for aid, who was promptly looking through her hand-bag for change. :rofl: I told them not to worry as I had a fin and a bunch of singles. They seemed relieved as the conversation revved back up.
So, my first adventure to the timeless Silver Fox Lounge was a wonderful treat. My proposed 15-20 minute birthday greeting turned into a (quick) hour and a half talk-fest. Not a single regret! Both ladies were extremely sweet and cordial; very easy to talk to. (I even had a birthday picture taken with Foxy that will be hanging on the wall.) :dance:
I had mentioned that "some folks" I know may be attending Saturday nights festivities. This seemed to please them both. I told the ladies that unfortunately, due to prior commitments, I will not be able to attend. If at all possible, I would recommend stopping in for a visit, at least once. If not for the party, then anytime that's convenient. (Hours 4pm-2pm weekdays/ 1pm-3am weekends) I would find it hard to believe if you were disappointed.

Thanx for "listening"
John-

BTW- The missing "Silver Fox" sign in front is being redone, and should be completed soon. Issues with the insurance company have delayed the process.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Good man you are! Happy B-Day.
Safe to say she has a few years on you. Glad you caught her in a good mood. Hit or miss there. Many tales in there and some you wouldn't believe me if I told you and will not print them on a "family" site.
The Fox is an experience all should try once and hopefully they would be met well like yourself. The place is just awesome! Did you notice the bar itself. Cool. Thanks to some company I used to keep, I've had that door open and lights on after 1:00 and come out in daylight. Ugly.

Thanks for sharing your visit!

g.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Safe to say she has a few years on you.

Just a few! :) Guess I caught Foxy on a good night or maybe I just had the right icebreaker. Hard to imagine the other way, though. Nothing went over PG-13. Although, the whole Twilight Zone/Rod Serling thing is spot on. Definitely worth checking out at least once.

Thanx for the wishes
John-