The History of the Pinelands Protection Movement

Jason Howell

Explorer
Nov 23, 2009
Screen Shot 2024-01-27 at 7.08.10 AM.png

It has become apparent to me that many people are not familiar with the full history of the movement to protect the Pine Barrens. I hope many people here, especially people like Ted Gordon who were present during that time(and who I procured this document from), can add valuable details, but that this thread can begin to capture some of the amazing history of this movement.​

The movement to protect the Pines picked up steam in the 1960s, informed residents and conservationists of that time recognized that without intervention, there would be almost nothing left of this place by the early 21st century. The pines were recognized as a globally unique ecosystem as far back as Whitmer Stone, the famed biologist, who published a book called "The plants of Southern New Jersey; with especial reference to the flora of the Pine Barrens" in 1911. In 1966, the New Jersey Audubon Society, helped form a proposal for a Pine Barrens National Monument. The committee was formed from some of the leading conservationists of the era, including National Geographic photographer Jack Boucher, publisher of Absegami Yesteryear. This movement expanded, progressed, and eventually gained success with the passage of the National Parks and Recreation Act in 1978, lead chiefly by the late great Jim Florio. This Act mandated that the State of New Jersey create the Pinelands Commission and preserve the area designated within the Act. The state of NJ quickly drafted complimentary legislation and at the helm was Gov Brendan T. Byrne("The Man who couldn't be bought"), who even imposed a complete building moratorium in the Pinelands Area. Despite protests and contestations by local business interests, the Pinelands Protection Act was passed and the Pinelands Commission was established. There are many many heroes of this story, some are still here today. The short and simple fact is, this is a special place and we are going to keep it that way- despite any pressure... The Pinelands National Reserve and the Pinelands Ecosystem will be protected because the great majority knows the importance of this special place.​

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I've seen similar work, but I don't recall that one. Is there a date on the document you posted? I'm throwing out a wild guess: 1967?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Driving down a road that leads to a dead end getting pin stripes on a car is not what they had in mind when they were coming up with that document. Driving into a river or destroying bogs and other such places is more like it. It has been proven that blocking those area's in particular does work and the cost of it is far cheaper than the money spent at the DEP planning all of this, setting up zoom meetings, paying for the printing of maps, paying the wages of those at Batsto last week and all the support staff that occurred in the background. I would say they have spent at least a million dollars on this already and think about how much wood they could have bought with that. And with almost free installation from the overwhelming majority who think this plan is totally nuts.

Scroggy

Scout
Jul 5, 2022
Delaware
There's an unexpected connection between Roger Conant and Witmer Stone I worked out when tracing the history of a plant specimen collected by Conant. He was mostly known as a herpetologist, of course, but he picked it up during a herping trip to the "Dutch Mountain" area of northern Pennsylvania. He was apparently visiting some cousins of his first wife, Otto and Herman Behr, who were loggers but also great naturalists, and corresponding members of the DVOC. They became good friends with Stone, who regularly visited the area.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

I hope many people here, especially people like Ted Gordon who were present during that time(and who I procured this document from), can add valuable details, but that this thread can begin to capture some of the amazing history of this movement.​

Ted hasn't posted in a long time. I doubt you will hear from him.