The Mead & Crane Sawmill At Sandy Ridge

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Kbright64, if you zoom in the historic aerials link you can clearly see most of the buildings in the 1956 aerial. I know of two foundations that can't be seen clearly in any of the aerials and the one you came across is one of them. The small packing house should be the building towards the far right in the picture. The reason I say that there are ramps still visible that I think may be loading dock(s).

http://www.historicaerials.com/aeri...9558068324148&lat=39.76050419818598&year=1956

Teegate, the foundation kbright64 has pictured was the one I asking about in the PM I sent you several weeks ago.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It looks like you had an interesting day.

The maps shows the Cranberry Pickers house and not the packing house. I have been told all of the cranberries were shipped to another location for packing. How true that is I am not sure of. The building you were at may have been a storage facility where the pickers would bring in the berries and get tickets. Just a guess. They are usually near the bogs.

I have to get permission to post those photo's. I am in an uncomfortable position that they were also given to someone else at the same time. If I just had them I would have less concerns.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am so confused. All of the posts seem to point to different locations.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Okay. When you said at the end of Angus Road I though you were referring to the southern end. I see now you are talking about where it meets Carranza. I would call that the beginning. Anyway, yes, Gibby has been there as well as Jessica and myself along with Lost Town Hunter.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes, it was at the northern end. As you say, this was a picker's house. The size of it didn't look right against the survey drawing, so it is inaccurate in that case. I have seen the footings at the southern end of the right-most building in the 1956 aerial. There is no trace of the house right near the bend in Carranza Road . The other three house foundations are easily found. The detail in the 1956 aerial shots seem particularly good.

Discovery like this is always fun. Just when you think you've seen everything, something else turns up unexpectedly.

Ken

I think the problem here is that the surveyor says "approximate." I am guessing that he like Beck sometimes must have gone home and from memory wrote down dimensions. Close but not close enough for people like us looking for things 80 years later. Still, it is an excellent map.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Ken, where did you find reference to Angus McGrober Road . This is the first I heard of it.

Ed