The PBX Parker Preserve Hike

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Today was the Parker Preserve hike by the Pine Barren Explorers(PBX) founded by our own BobM. We met at the Chatsworth Fire House at 10AM and placed a vehicle at the end of our route 2 miles south of Chatsworth where the West Branch of the Wading River meets 563.

We then returned to the fire house and drove to our starting point just west of the Apple Pie Hill entrance on 532. We headed into the woods and soon crossed Ringler road heading toward the JCRR and Big Bertha which is the canal that feeds the bogs from Chatsworth Lake. Many of you would be surprised to know that just a short distance from the brick pillars at the entrance to APH there is an abundance of savannas.

IMG_4505.JPG

We then traveled along the JCRR and entered the DeMarco bogs. There we set up our camera's and took a group shot. I was proud to be with these people.

IMG_4508.JPG

Some of the area around the bogs are filled with water.

IMG_4517.JPG

We traveled along the roads around the bogs, and in some instances we travel through the bogs. Toward the end of the bogs we came to a pump house like this which was open.

IMG_4514.JPG

Inside we found the massive pump that would extract the water from the ground for the bogs. The cement block in the foreground is what the diesel engines were bolted to. We made sure the building was locked when we left.

IMG_4522.JPG

IMG_4523.JPG

The water was pumped out through a pipe which rested in the cutout area in this view.

IMG_4532.JPG

A nice view near there.

IMG_4533.JPG

We then stumbled onto a deer stand unlike any I have ever viewed. It was quite high in the air with no easy way up.

IMG_4538.JPG

So I decided to climb up the tree and try to take some photo's inside. When I reached the front of it I had to release two latches to get the door open. Here is the inside.

IMG_4544.JPG

The view looking down.

IMG_4543.JPG

The most photographed tree of the day.

IMG_4546.JPG

And the river not far from 563.

IMG_4550.JPG

We traveled 7.4 miles and really had a great time. We all rated it in the end to be on an average a 9.3 out of 10. You can't get much better than that.

Guy

Reactions: John

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It was an outstanding day for the hike. One of those days you'll look back on from your easy chair and say..."yeah, that was a good 'un". Congratulations to the New Jersey Conservation Foundation, and, indeed, thank you Mr. Demarco. Please forgive me for everything bad I ever said about you! :)

And what a bunch of great guys to spend the day with.

Good photos Guy. Mike had some good ones too on the email he sent.

Whats next, North of 532? Hmmm?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Are any of you having a problem walking this morning? :(

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
BEHR655 said:
My feet are still hurting but not as bad as last night.

Steve

Hey, I'm older than both of you, its me supposed to be hurting. I came out of this one okay.

Steve, for some strange reason I really like your picture 13 of all of us (except you of course as photographer) looking the other way. I don't know, kind of has that true exploring look.