The plains

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I spent a very enjoyable 5 hours wandering through the plains off rt 539 on Sunday. My brother had never stopped and hiked there, and it was a nice cool day for exploring. Sorry, forgot the camera, but most of you know the unusual beauty of this unique area. What a great day to be out, and the planes weren't flying so it was quiet.

Reactions: joc

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I spent a very enjoyable 5 hours wandering through the plains off rt 539 on Sunday. My brother had never stopped and hiked there, and it was a nice cool day for exploring. Sorry, forgot the camera, but most of you know the unusual beauty of this unique area. What a great day to be out, and the planes weren't flying so it was quiet.

Ain't it nice? I was there Saturday. I was by the FAA tower. There is an area across the road from there that I like to wander around in
MarchConrad.PNG

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Bob
Are those cables from one of the "defunct" towers? Appears to be another cable in the upper right hand corner?
Looks like a carpet of Broome Crowberry?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob
Are those cables from one of the "defunct" towers? Appears to be another cable in the upper right hand corner?
Looks like a carpet of Broome Crowberry?

Yes JD, tis that exactly, and yes amongst the crowberry. I think they must have been a lot further out from the tower at one time. Or maybe there was a different tower. This was no more than 500 feet in from Beaver Dam Road. Here is the old base of the cable support (I presume).

TBase.PNG

Reactions: joc

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Bob
I've poked around in there on both sides of the road. At one time there were a lot more towers. There are areas on the current FAA building side of Beaver Dam rd that have evidence. There is even a defunct tower laying on the ground that has pieces salvaged from it. There is an electrical connection panel there also.
I haven't seen much on the opposite side of the road but there appears to have been activity there at one time.
Word of caution. In the back along the wetland area, DO NOT attempt to drive through any water holes. A few years ago there was a mud truck jamboree.
Word of caution, the crowberry is notorious for chiggers. Don't ask. LOL

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
In the back along the wetland area, DO NOT attempt to drive through any water holes. A few years ago there was a mud truck jamboree.

Oh yeah. I went down that road about 1/3 of the way to the backside and nearly got stuck. Pure clay in some spots. I turned around. I knew I was whipped.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
At one time there were a lot more towers. There are areas on the current FAA building side of Beaver Dam rd that have evidence. There is even a defunct tower laying on the ground that has pieces salvaged from it.

It is hard to tell what was there...but you can see why they like the area. It's a big plateau, with only a 10 difference in elevation.

TowerFoot.PNG

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The FAA area is nice to spend an day wandering around. I particularly like pushing through the cedars along side of the Oswego. The entire area is littered with artifacts from the towers that must have stood through out the area. I think the massive sections of pole that can be found are pieces of the towers themselves. The sections are at least two feet in diameter and have climbing spikes screwed into them. They remind me,very much, of the antenna poles located on the "Pole Farm" in Hopewell. The hardware and guy wires look the same too. I found several cables high up and tangled in the trees. I don't know if the wires fell there after being detached or if the trees carried them up as they grew.

Is the area always that wet or does it dry out during the Summer? I only ask because of my continual interest in wetland plants. The few times I have visited have been during the Winter.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
[quote="Gibby, post: 110319, member: 1474
Is the area always that wet or does it dry out during the Summer? I only ask because of my continual interest in wetland plants. The few times I have visited have been during the Winter.[/quote]

Dries up some but stays pretty wet because of location and clay. The mud holes may get a "scab" but break through and your done.
Second road from the FAA boundary rd appears to be a boundary road of some sort. Gets wet down there also, best to walk, a nice "beach" area to enjoy.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.757772770091535&lng=-74.4048535823822&z=17&type=h&gpx=

Reactions: Gibby

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
But it's a little bumpier than that topo map might imply. :) http://boydsmaps.com/#lidar,39.748827,-74.390681,16
I've got to ask, as good as the resolution is on the image, by chance is there some misinformation caused by the trees?
I certainly haven't been over every foot of that area and "we" as a flea's viewpoint in proportion to the area may not readily be aware of elevation changes, I'm in doubt of the accuracy in the 5 o'clock area? That is higher ground with larger pines but the ground still appears relatively flat in person, maybe gentle elevation change?
As for showing old roads, firecuts it's great, although over on Haines property I know of at least one old boundary line that doesn't appear.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Thanks JD! I am not to concerned about getting stuck. I have been parking by the tower and hiking a long loop along the surrounding waterways. If you ever get the chance to check the cedar swamp by your marker on the map (up and to the left). It was logged at one time and is a beautiful area to spend the day.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
That would be on the other side of the river? I think I'm looking at the area.
I do remember years back on Beaver Dam road while crossing the cedar swamp when it was cut. Don't ask me the year. It is now Conservation property?
How did you get back there, boots and 2 feet? LOL

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Yes, that's the area I'm talking about.
That general area is infested with gun clubs. I know of 6, but don't ask me the names. LOL
I thought that area or at least the area right along Beaver Dam is now Conservation also a strip along Red rd. The opposite side N belongs to a gun club. Maybe both sides belong to 2 different gun clubs. I really haven't paid attention the last few years.
That "hooked" road that comes closest to the area, there is a gun club there with a steel gate up near Red rd. I've never been back there. That entire area even across Red rd is interesting. You can follow it well up into Coyle Field.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I've got to ask, as good as the resolution is on the image, by chance is there some misinformation caused by the trees?

This form of LIDAR is supposed to be "bare earth imagery" that doesn't show trees, but I have often wondered about that myself. The resolution is about 10 feet per pixel. The elevation changes may be smaller than the "bumps" imply, looks like many of them are only a foot or two. Not completely sure what the "5 o'clock area" is. Do you mean the area Southeast of the tower?

Maybe these will help? I have dropped all the roads and other details out of the first image and added some elevations. The second image is the exact same view, but I've converted the DEM data to one-foot contour lines and included spot elevations. The third image is an extreme closeup of the area Southeast of the tower with the contours and spot elevations overlaid.

According to this, Bob's statement about a 10 foot variation in elevation isn't quite right. :)

tower1.jpg
tower2.jpg
tower3.jpg