The Risley Branch, a PBX Hike

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I think Risley (a.k.a.) Governors Hill branch needs a kayak expedition to fully explore it's far reaches.I measured slightly over a mile of potential kayakability.there appears to be an ancient dam downstream that backs the water up.I'd bet anything the actual spillway is rotted out and gone and beaver have taken over where man has neglected his dam duties.in anycase it looks navigable upstream past the footbridge to the next island and just possibly all the way up to the recently abandoned bogs south of 532.
any kayakers out there up for it?
Al

You have my attention Al! Paddling upstream is my favorite.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, that was quite a hole. That video may actually save my life someday :).

If you are walking around in the pines in an area where you can feel the ground bounce as you walk, it is important that you be extremely careful where you step. Bob and I have mentioned quite often that when one of the other goes into one of these area's there is an email or phone call before hand to let the other know when they should be expected to contact back. In reality one should not go alone in these area's. It would be so easy to fall in and not be able to get out.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I'm way ahead of you, Al. I already had the kayak trip planned before we finished the hike. I had fished the area right by the dam previously, but after this hike I'm going to fish the whole thing.

Jeff

I did some nice pickerel fishing in the isolated upper bogs of the tulpehiocken some years back.hiked in once and drug a canoe several hundered yards through the swamp another time.some nice big ones up there.i hear pickerel are good eatin but you have to know a SPECIAL technique to filet all the bones out.have you ever ate pickerel?I was catching and releasing because i don't know how to filet em.
Al

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
You have my attention Al! Paddling upstream is my favorite.

Ed

this one you actually come into it around the middle though a little downstream of middle.there appears to be about 1.2 mi of kayakable creek but if you did the whole thing up and back it would come out to about 2.2 mil a nice small run. I was out to the beaver dam again today so whip could get some pics of it.i really want to yak it just to see places we missed while in the woods.
Al

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
IMG_3646.JPG

By the way what are all those men over 50 doing out in the woods anyway:)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
For those of you who may be wondering what the over 50 text is all about, Bob said a viewer wrote an online response to the article about the man who was lost in the woods last week. In the response, they could not understand why a man over 50 would be in the woods anyway.

Guy

• Haha
Reactions: bobpbx

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
.i hear pickerel are good eatin but you have to know a SPECIAL technique to filet all the bones out.have you ever ate pickerel?I was catching and releasing because i don't know how to filet em.
Al

Al,
I have baked and smoked pickerel many times and they are a delicious mild fish.
Smoked over hickory after brining overnight in kosher salt, fresh garlic and brown sugar is killer.
The bones, however, are a living nightmare. There are bones over the bones and some bones that are just suspended in the meat. Did I mention there are a lot of bones ?
I too have heard of magic tricks to deboning them but I have never seen it done and I can't figure them out.
I always keep just a few in the spring to smoke and I persevere with the bones.
Scott

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
my dad swears he knows how to filet em but I've never seen him do it.he is a career fisherman but he will not eat fish so i can't imagine him putting a lot of effort into fileting a fish he's not going to eat.he will fish at the river all day and give his catch to whoever is around him.
Al

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
For those of you who may be wondering what the over 50 text is all about, Bob said a viewer wrote an online response to the article about the man who was lost in the woods last week. In the response, they could not understand why a man over 50 would be in the woods anyway.

Guy

I'm not in the over 50 club yet but I'm close enough I resent that youngsters remark:)
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It was most impressive to see Paul make his way up that tree. He is almost 60 and I know a few teenagers who will never be able to do that. Age is only a factor when you are old, and Paul is not old.

Guy

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Thanks, y'all for illuminating an unknown area of the Pines for me.
Bob, that map really helped. I enjoyed the great pics and remarkable photo-op-poses. :) And some amazing antics from 50-year-olds. (!!) But I'm worried about Guy . . . "small hibernating mammals" ??

Glo

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

Guy
And now, 12 years later there are pbx guys over 65 doing this.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
And now, 12 years later there are pbx guys over 65 doing this.
And crashing thru almost impassable thick brush and barbwire briars. Balancing on a slippery cedar log across a creek. Getting slapped in the face by a swinging branch and having the concern of being covered with ticks and 'chiggers' when there is a perfectly good road a few hundred feet away eventually leading to the same destination. :smug:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
And crashing thru almost impassable thick brush and barbwire briars. Balancing on a slippery cedar log across a creek. Getting slapped in the face by a swinging branch and having the concern of being covered with ticks and 'chiggers' when there is a perfectly good road a few hundred feet away eventually leading to the same destination. :smug:

Welcome to our nightmare! Once our route took us across the river and we could see the bridge upstream.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No pbx'r gets their face slapped. The first thing they learn is that if you are hit in the face by the man in front of you, it's your fault.

Speaking of face slapped, you saying that reminded me again about the tour we were on when the two older woman ahead of me turned around and asked what the etiquette was concerning walking sticks being thrashed around by the person in front of them. That person was someone most everyone here knows. They were annoyed that this person had almost hit them in the face multiple times with their stick. I was hoping to blame the person swinging the stick but unfortunately had to tell the woman that they were walking way too close. That did not go over well with them.

Speaking of face slapped, you saying that reminded me again about the tour we were on when the two older woman ahead of me turned around and asked what the etiquette was concerning walking sticks being thrashed around by the person in front of them. That person was someone most everyone here knows. They were annoyed that this person had almost hit them in the face multiple times with their stick. I was hoping to blame the person swinging the stick but unfortunately had to tell the woman that they were walking way too close. That did not go over well with them.
I know I'm in the minority since I don't use a stick on the PBX hikes (and there have been times I wish I had one), but when going through briars I prefer being unencumbered carrying one. I'd probably end up losing it anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I know I'm in the minority since I don't use a stick on the PBX hikes (and there have been times I wish I had one), but when going through briars I prefer being unencumbered carrying one. I'd probably end up losing it anyway.
Many are the times I've used the stick in heavy (weeping madness gnashing of teeth type of) bramble by holding it horizontally in front of me and using it to flatten the bramble down.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yeah, like when you come up behind a guy who's drunk and waving a samurai sword. Back off real quiet like, give him plenty of space. And for God's sake, don't complain about him out loud.