The Road to Howardsville

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The other day I decided to travel out to Howardsville to take some pictures of the area as the sun set. I hadn't been there in 10 years, and I remembered that the road that takes you in from Bryant Rd. was in bad, but passable shape.

That's not so true anymore. Right off the bat there's a pretty big hole as you turn in from Bryant Rd. There's another puddle that has a very narrow go-around by it. It did a number on my truck:

1176313_10201422369215190_2032553711_n.jpg

Finally, there's a pretty scary pit of mud with very deep ruts right before you get into the town. It was there that I gave up.

I walked in from Howardsville Road, went down the causeway across the bog, and a little further up noticed that someone had put a giant whacking mountain of sand on the road completely blocking it. So even if I got past the mud pit (I wouldn't have) I'd have been blocked a few hundred feet further down the road.

I think I have the most scratched up Honda Ridgeline out there.

For the curious, here are the photos I got:

Dusk at Howardsville by benruset, on Flickr

Single Track by benruset, on Flickr

The Rye Strip by benruset, on Flickr

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice trip Ben! Jessica and I was there today.

Guy

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Very nice pictures, Ben! The Rye Strip is my favorite!

I was out in that general area on Sunday. My Sister and her husband came down from Vermont to visit for the weekend. They enjoy the Pines when they visit, and they are also into Geocaching. We decide to spend some time in the woods. I think we were out on the same day as you. To bad we didn't bump into to each other. I like bumping into people I know in the woods. I bumped into Bob the other evening.

To bad about the damage. My Silverado sustained some heavy damage this spring in a go-around. I creased my door and fender, I bent two crossmembers and the exhaust, and ripped the mirror off the door. I got Jammed up jelly tight in a go-around on Pollypod Rd. going from Warren Grove to Stafford Forge. I slid into a rut, got high centered on a stump, and was up against trees. I gave it all it had and got loose, but sustained collateral damage. I have come across a good number of new go-arounds in the FRM area. Some are not a much better option than going through the water and ruts. I had my Jeep out the other day instead of my woods truck. I was able to squeak the Jeep through a couple that were very tight! Some are so tight that they are not an option with my Silverado.

Ms Oats

Scout
Aug 7, 2013
Bayville, NJ
Great shots. The roads have been pretty difficult to navigate this summer. After getting stuck earlier this summer I close my eyes while he drives

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
To bad about the damage. My Silverado sustained some heavy damage this spring in a go-around. I creased my door and fender, I bent two crossmembers and the exhaust, and ripped the mirror off the door. I got Jammed up jelly tight in a go-around on Pollypod Rd. going from Warren Grove to Stafford Forge. I slid into a rut, got high centered on a stump, and was up against trees. I gave it all it had and got loose, but sustained collateral damage. I have come across a good number of new go-arounds in the FRM area. Some are not a much better option than going through the water and ruts. I had my Jeep out the other day instead of my woods truck. I was able to squeak the Jeep through a couple that were very tight! Some are so tight that they are not an option with my Silverado.

I miss my old Wrangler. It was much narrower than the Ridgeline.

I am generally really cautious about where I go, and am apprehensive going into ANY puddle. But with a truck this wide it's pretty much impossible to go anywhere without brushing up on the foliage. I'll have to use a good cleaner wax and see if I can get some of the scratches out.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The main gate off of Howardville Road was down 3 weeks ago when I was there. You could have drove right in off of the paved road. They have the gate fixed.

Guy

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I miss my old Wrangler. It was much narrower than the Ridgeline.

I am generally really cautious about where I go, and am apprehensive going into ANY puddle. But with a truck this wide it's pretty much impossible to go anywhere without brushing up on the foliage. I'll have to use a good cleaner wax and see if I can get some of the scratches out.

I love our Jeep! My JK is great in the Pines. We have only taken it out maybe a dozen times since we bought it new almost four years ago. Once it is paid for it will become my woods rig. I can't wait!

I always ease on the side coution when it comes to puddles. If I don't know the puddle I will use the go-around if one is there, and I can fit. It is there for a reason. If there is no go-around, I will get out and check the puddle. I will walk it in knee boots. I always keep a pair behind my truck seat or on my feet when I'm out in the pines.

My Silverado is a great truck truck, it's a Bull. It is just to big. I have tree damage on both sides now. I have ripped the mirrors off both sides a few times, one is smashed now. It is covered in pinestriping. With the truck being my woods rig, I do not worry about the body much. I have damaged my driver vehicles in the pines in the past. It sucks.

I bet you will be able to buff most of it out.

Reactions: bobpbx

Star Tree

Scout
Apr 28, 2011
Waretown
I saw that road marked on a map as the Harrison Road; I always assumed it was named for Isaac Harrison who was a manager for the cranberry company that used to work the bogs. Years ago, I broke down about ½ ways through to Howardsville (Cranmer Place) and had to walk out. When I came back later all the windows on the truck were knocked out.
The pictures are beautiful!

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Nice pics, Ben . very surreal. One thing I have come to assume about Howardsville is that the reservoir at the north end holds many secrets about it's history.

Jeff