The TeeGate and Manumuskin Adventure

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

At 7:15 this morning Al and I were already hard at work searching for a few of the stones that we have been holding off searching for until we could meet up together. On our agenda was Tylertown, and before most of the people along the road there were most likely even up we were maneuvering our way through the woods nearby. At our first location we found that the woods were fairly open and it was obvious there wasn't a stone in sight. However, by using the metal point of my walking stick we were able to hear the sound of metal to stone, and in a few seconds we had uncovered this.

IMG_3342.JPG

Al started digging some more and soon we realized we had found a monster.

IMG_3343.JPG

Have you ever noticed or visited the house ruins along the west side of 563 near Green Bank? These are the ruins of the home of Horace Patton.

IMG_7628.jpg

The location of his house is here.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.622269&lng=-74.575058&z=16&type=doq&gpx=

The ruins.

IMG_3357.JPG

IMG_3358.JPG

This is along the road.

IMG_3359.JPG

IMG_3360.JPG

IMG_3361.JPG

Today we went looking for the two stones in the far back of Horace Patton's property. The first one was a nice one.

IMG_3352.JPG

The next one was just sticking up out of the swamp. We were lucky to even find this one.

IMG_3355.JPG

On the way out we found this behind the ruins of the house. We have no idea what it is.

IMG_3356.JPG

Next, we looked for a stone Jessica and I could not find last week and today we were successful. Hidden under the canopy of a holly.

IMG_3364.JPG

And Al later found this some distance from where we were looking for it.

IMG_3368.JPG

Then to look for the two stones deep in the briers on the property of Merrill Wills. Jessica and I were within 100 feet of one of them a while back and had to give up. Today Al and I made it to both and came up empty. However, we did have an interesting time getting out.

Does he look wet and cold?

IMG_3371.JPG

IMG_3372.JPG

We finally made it back to our vehicles, and as usual we discussed our day. This area is deep in the woods but the Batona Trail uses the road we came in on. Al and I climbed in our vehicles to head home, and I noticed a hiker coming towards us on my side. Al was blocked by my vehicle so I exited it to inform him to be careful. When I started back into my car I looked again at the hiker and realized I recognized him from the Internet. It was non other than our own Kayak Karl. He was quite surprised to see us for sure, as we were to see him. I can say the next few minutes of conversation was one of the highlight of the day, and hopefully Karl will post the photo he took of Al and I. And during the conversation Karl mentioned just a few hours earlier he was talking to our very own Turtle and her mom.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Nice report Guy,
I've never seen the ruins of Horace Patton. I've never come across them. I am surprised, as I've gotten around a bit. Pretty substantial. I'll have to check them out. Any info on the man?

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice report Guy,
I've never seen the ruins of Horace Patton. Any info on the man?

Jeff

Well, I am glad you mentioned that. I had decided to see what I could find and took a look in "Heart of the Pines" and noticed there is a Horace Patten (Patten with and "e") mentioned. They were from the Green Bank area. Here is basically what John Pearce says. (See page 460 and 461 in Heart of the Pines for the complete info)

Mary Roediger married John DeBow and the couple had three children: Charles Walter (b. 1893, d. 1964), Viola, and Maude. (The Debow farm was located at the end of DeBow lane just a short distance away from the house I visited, and Pierce mentioned the homes on DeBow Lane now were all split up from the DeBow farm.)

http://tinyurl.com/ydauznd

Maude married Horace Patten, and they had Austin, Violet, Maude, and Ella. They also raised their granddaughter, Ramona as a daughter. She must have loved her very much, for at Maude's funeral, Ramona was listed as one of her daughters, not as a granddaughter.

I suspect their graves are nearby in Green Bank and I will be looking for them as soon as I get time.

Guy

rjb

Scout
Oct 11, 2009
south toms river nj usa
In 1920 I have Horace Patten living in Washington, county of Burlington, with his wife, Maud and and daughter Ella, then 13, and a 9 year old son spelled "Horrice" on the 1920 federal census. Horace is listed as being born about 1886 and Maud about 1890. Their home at that time was rented.

Edit: Horace Patten's exact birthdate, according to the WW1 draft registration, is 3 Jun 1885.

rjb

Scout
Oct 11, 2009
south toms river nj usa
Additional info on Horace. In 1917 he lists his address as Green Bank and his occupation as what appears to be laborer at some landing. It is handwritten and my best guess it says Ailacks landing in a town of the same name. The writing is bad enough that my guess is totally off the wall as to the spelling.

Edit: On Horace's WW2 registration he states he was born in Tylertown. He also states he was working for the WPA out of Fort Dix at that time.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks for the info rjb. It is all adding up and falling into place.

Guy

rjb

Scout
Oct 11, 2009
south toms river nj usa
I suspect this is "Horrice" Patten's grave, more commonly known as Austin. Horrice or Horace may have been his middle name. It is in Lower Bank Cemetery in Lower Bank.

14310671_114791374278.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I suspect this is "Horrice" Patten's grave, more commonly known as Austin. Horrice or Horace may have been his middle name. It is in Lower Bank Cemetery in Lower Bank.

14310671_114791374278.jpg

From the info dogg posted and the names, that may not be correct. I am not sure though and my opinion may be wrong. His wife's name was not Myra. I think it is his son Austin. In fact it has to be. This would prove the map spelling is wrong.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
dogg,

The middle initial could have been for Horace. Austin H. Patten

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am confused as to why you say the dates don't match. The dates you have match the photo.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sorry did not have my glasses on. So maybe it is his son the later date?

I would say it was.

Both of you have helped tremendously. Thank you!

And interesting note.....if you look at the map one of his property corners was in the road, and when I was there holding my GPS it actually was. The original road maybe just skimmed it but the present road goes through it.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I really like those names....Austin, Violet, and Ella.

And then there's Maude!

Sorry, couldn't resist. But I do mean it, I could see myself naming my own children the first three.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ella is still popular. We are going to a birthday party today where the youngest daughter is Ella.

Guy