The Woodshed a forgotten place?

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Heard the bad news that the Woodshed on 72 has closed. I hope a new owner takes over and keeps it alive. I loved the pool table, jukebox, and warmth of their woodstove. You know you're in a piney bar when there are more pickerel than bass mounted on the walls.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Drove by the 'Shed yesterday. There were two trucks in the lot, so I pulled in. Inside, sat the owner with a friend, in the afternoon darkness, on the fun side of the bar. I was told he closed about two weeks ago due to lack of business, with no chance of reopening. Wasn't even sure it would sell. A shame for the man and a legendary piney bar.

John-

fir469

Mar 19, 2010
Sad indeed

My girlfriend was the bartender there until it closed about a month ago. Owner ran out of money. The original owner is now in possession of it again and I'm unsure if it will reopen. I actually met my GF there, she was my bartender. So that place will always hold a special place in my heart. It was one of my main haunts for about 3 years... Oh well, things come and go, but the best ones usually go....

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
My girlfriend was the bartender there until it closed about a month ago. Owner ran out of money. The original owner is now in possession of it again and I'm unsure if it will reopen. I actually met my GF there, she was my bartender. So that place will always hold a special place in my heart. It was one of my main haunts for about 3 years... Oh well, things come and go, but the best ones usually go....

Small world! I think I work with your GF (KW)?

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake

Was she the blond w the tattoos, the burnette that was into hunting, or the other burnette who was a little older than the other two? Stopped in at Mayo's the other day.. my new favorite honky tonk.

kitnkabootle

Apr 7, 2010
I am new to this site - so first of all, hello!

I have developed a bit of an odd fixation on the Pine Barrens based, I'll admit on some of its oddities and mysteries. Of course tales of the Jersey Devil of Cultists and witches were the things to draw me in - but my interests in it are now more vast.

To me the sheer size and relatively small population is what intrigues me along with the scarcely traveled nooks and crannies that exist in its expanse. It almost begs to be explored.

I'm a Historian at heart and have really enjoyed reading this forum and reading about the things that have been discovered. I so wish I could pop out there and have a peek at it with my own eyes - but being a 25 year old makeup artist from Canada - it just seems very out of reach.

Anyways, my point for responding on this particular thread is I find it really comforting to know that there are places around this world where people can know someone's face or name just by where they work. I am jealous of you self-proclaimed 'pineys' and wish I lived in a place where a stranger was harder to find then a friend.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
"It almost begs to be explored."

Ain't that the truth! But seriously, the fringes are chock-a-block with people. Even those on the forum mostly live on the fringe, and some live far from it.

But still, its ours, and we love it and strive to protect it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The last two posts are quite nice. Well said by both of you!

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Anyways, my point for responding on this particular thread is I find it really comforting to know that there are places around this world where people can know someone's face or name just by where they work. I am jealous of you self-proclaimed 'pineys' and wish I lived in a place where a stranger was harder to find then a friend.

Welcome to the forum! Great paragraph. It is true, as Bob was eluding to, that the interior of the pines is a world apart from the communities on the fringes. The communities within the pines are very much as you describe. The true pineys are native blood and the term has been adopted with affection where it was once very derogatory.

If you ever make it down let us know and we can set you up with all the info you need. Just bring lots of moosehead with you. Oh yeah, one more thing, can you please end each sentance with "eh"? even when you're typing..just so we remember your from Canada.:)

Jeff

fir469

Mar 19, 2010
My GF is the youngest bartender there at the time they closed. She has brownish blonde hair and played Kings of Leon a lot lol. She worked nights like 4 days a week and drove a yellow truck. If ya know her let me know and I'll tell her you said Hi...