Their Own Little Mayberry on the Jersey Shore

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
If memory serves, Brick also was reported as one of the lowest crimes areas in the nation. It's in the same report that dropped Camden City down from 1st to 4th. Brick was in the Top-10 safest I believe.

omega

Explorer
I saw a piece on this on NYC tvnews and had to chuckle at Joe Scarpelli's comments. " I credit this to the mayor's policies..." he is the mayor! Nice job Joe, patting yourself on the back, hope you didn't hurt your arm!

I used to cover local twp meetings when I was in radio, Brick was always fun. Scott McFadden, the former Biz admin was great to deal with. One nega about Brick, lots of asphalt.

I always take these rating things with a shaker of salt. It's all statistics and they can be interpreted myriad ways, and it depends upon which they use to base thier decision. For example, years ago one mag rated a city in which I worked in TV as one of the healthiest places in the country. that was based on the number of doctors per capita. Never mind the heavily ethnic neighborhoods filled with greasy, fatty foods, the obesity and heavy reliance on smokes as a form of entertainment. Just have a doctor close does not make you healthy.

even the NYT in that article messed up the stats, they based SS HTS crime rate on the census population, its a small boro with a small full time residnecy, where thes population explodes in the summer, as does the crime rate. are the numbers correct? yes, technically, but are they a true representation of reality? that's your call.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
there are a number of apartments in the northern end of brick that are pretty unsafe.

plus there are the creeps who live across the street from me that have people come by and lay on the horn instead of ringing the door bell.

blaring horns does not a happy baby make.

i almost got into a fist fight in my driveway with the "cousin" of one of the monsters who lives there over that.

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
i heard no car horns today or can i remember hearing any since we moved up here, i think two cars drove past our house today and they were our neighbors
we do hear lots of animal and bird noises, very pleasing to the ears !

i do miss some aspects of NJ but the wife misses none

omega

Explorer
Potter county eh, you are in the sticks LOL

I lived and worked in the Scranton area in the 80's got out to Williamsport and Sayre a couple times. lovely country. a few years back my wife was reading a book set in Montana, so whenever I complain about the increase in population (I've been here since the 60's with a few years in PA) she just says "Montana." LOL

but moving the kids, finding work etc at this point in life isn't really practical.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Brick is a solid Blue Collar-bedroom community for those working up North, right Ben? Is Herbertsville technically part of Brick? The article leans east of route 70, no?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Brick is a solid Blue Collar-bedroom community for those working up North, right Ben? Is Herbertsville technically part of Brick? The article leans east of route 70, no?

Yeah, I suppose you can say that. Bus service to NYC from Brick is pretty awful (ie: very limited) so there's not an overwhelming majority of people who work in NYC here. (I imagine you see more of that once you get North of Long Branch.)

Brick is a perfect example of destruction of farm/pinelands in the name of progress. We have a multitude of four lane highways, congestion, a growing population, more and more shopping centers going up, and less and less trees and pristine wooded areas.

Anybody who thinks that the Comprehensive Management Plan is crap should take a look at Brick and see what rampant overdevelopment can do to an area.

Of course, I am sure that a lot of developers have made a lot of money in Brick.

Some spots are nice (such as where I live), but it's no Bamber, that's for sure!

Herbertsville is part of Brick. Extreme North Brick.