Then & Now Photos

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is not an Oops. I have info showing that she called it Bloody Bridge Road. However, I am looking for it and can't find it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
In the meantime, I did find this one I made using her photo and mine. I believe I am correct on the location. I posted this before.

Elizabeth Morgan 70s_1.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Here is where I got it from. Bob, did you mean the road the photo was taken on is Bloody Bridge or did I get that wrong.

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/th...r-mountain-coalition.9835/page-11#post-118871

Now I"m confused. In the above link, I said:

"You are indeed correct. Well done! Your assumption beat mine. I thought at first it was the road behind the sand plant by Bamber. This road is called Bloody Ridge Road."

Now I don't recall whether I meant the road behind the Bamber sand plant was Bloody Bridge Road (and it does have a bridge), or did I mean that I had Elizabeth's map, and she named the road you took the photos on Bloody Bridge Road (or it was written on her slide). I can't find the Elizabeth map here. I may have given it to you.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Now I"m confused. In the above link, I said:

"You are indeed correct. Well done! Your assumption beat mine. I thought at first it was the road behind the sand plant by Bamber. This road is called Bloody Ridge Road."

Now I don't recall whether I meant the road behind the Bamber sand plant was Bloody Bridge Road (and it does have a bridge), or did I mean that I had Elizabeth's map, and she named the road you took the photos on Bloody Bridge Road (or it was written on her slide). I can't find the Elizabeth map here. I may have given it to you.

I have that map and have forgotten to get it to you each time I mentioned it. In any event, that map is not that quad so it does not show that road.

I would think it was written on the slide. If you notice I mentioned Ben's map also called it that at one time. Now it does not

Remind me whenever we are going to meet again to get that map to you.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Amazing, I realize it's been 40+ years but still. Is that Bloody Bridge or Bloody Ridge rd? Any idea of how that name came to be?
edit: I see I'm not the only one confused.

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have that map and have forgotten to get it to you each time I mentioned it. In any event, that map is not that quad so it does not show that road.

I would think it was written on the slide. If you notice I mentioned Ben's map also called it that at one time. Now it does not

Remind me whenever we are going to meet again to get that map to you.

I think I gave you that map to keep, if I recall. No need to return it. It means more to you than me considering your interests.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
I'd still like to know how Bloody Ridge name came about. I can only guess. If you continue on Bloody Ridge from the pointer where the road makes a sharp left and becomes Webbs Mill rd, Webbs Mill road actually continues ENE and intersects the road that has the grassy field. A friend on mine calls that the Lacey Line as it continues quite far. The road continues across the Lacey Line rd and comes out inside the gate of that gun club. I strongly believe their gate is on public property. Their driveway up to their gate is Webbs Mill rd. I think the current Webbs Mill rd is called Webbs Mill / Pasadena rd. I'm surprised the LIDAR doesn't show this as there is quite a depression, but then it is also heavily over grown, in fact impassable and is actually an upland swamp of sorts. I need Tgate to look for stones there and cut a path, LOL

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Your guess sounds good to me. I bet that is it. Unfortunately, it was much easer to see the sun at sunset years ago. The woods have seriously grown up since then.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Check out Boyds Lidar just behind the pointer. It is Bloody RIDGE road.

Sorry, but this is yet another reason why I took that old map off my own site.... it sucks. I wish people would not use the NJPB LIDAR map as a source for anything. But you guys just won't let it die. :p

I'm sure that road name came from the US Census Bureau TIGER line data that I used back in those days, and it is notoriously inaccurate. This data was also the basis of early topo maps from Garmin and Magellan - the main attraction being that it was FREE government data. The TIGER maps were originally created for census takers to find homes, it was never intended to be the source for topo maps.

I have my own dataset of NJ unpaved roads now, and continue to update it with roads traced from aerial imagery (about 1500 miles of these on my current maps). And I have scoured all the old USGS topo maps for road names. There really are very few road names on those maps, with the exception of a few places. I could find no historic topo maps that show "Bloody Ridge Road" as the name for that road. I have spent a lot of time gradually purging all the lousy old TIGER data from my maps, but still keep finding more.

I don't know.... maybe that is really called Bloody Ridge road? Would like to know if someone has a "real" source for that name that did NOT come from the questionable Census TIGER line data. But the fact that this name is shown on my old LIDAR map is pretty worthless. ;)

Reactions: Pan

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
In any event, I have the cords on the photo so that pretty much lets us all know where the location is.