This ticks me off...

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
I post over on the Jersey forum of a Jeep site once in while just to see what people are up to/where they're going. The reason I got hooked into it in the first place was I stumbled across it while looking for information regarding unpaved roads up at Stokes/the DWG. I happened to go through a thread about a trail ride through Wharton and found this video (among others-warning foul language)-fast forward to 1:10:

The real kicker was the last post on the thread:

push-my-button said:
Reminder to everyone pay your tickets you have to mail them in

Clearly the fines need to be upped or the park police/rangers need some more effective tools (ie: impoundment) for dealing with these people. The tickets seem to just be a "cost of doing business..." :bang:

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
This is why you DO NOT go through any intimidating water obstacles, even some "innocent" looking ones can get you.
Notice some of the jeeps went around.
It appears they are on a road, hard to say exactly where but maybe on the way into Hidden Lakes.
At least they're on what appears to be a road and not a sensitive off road area. If they are on a road then technically they're within the law in attempting to cross the water hazard.

The statement about the fine is out of context for lack of additional info. What did they get fined for?
Being at the restricted Hidden Lakes?

The Pines are for ALL to enjoy and explore on foot, bicycle and motor vehicle. No one group holds a monopoly, however any group willfully destroying a sensitive area or road deserves a fine. There is a difference between willfully and trying to get through.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We need a game camera there. We could be entertained constantly. Save Ed from going there :)

Reactions: Trailwalker

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Driving through a road that has been allowed to degrade to that condition is not illegal. I'd rather have the park police focusing their attention on people who drive through and ruin pristine land.

While I am not a huge fan of off-road driving like that (I used to be, a long long time ago) unless they're on land that is closed to motorized vehicles nothing they did there was illegal.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Not at all illegal,just quite rude when they do it in the middle of a used road.I hate it when you drive through a puddle month after month and never encounter a problem and then one day unexpectedly you bottom out in it because some Yeeha has created a canyon in it more likely then not on purpose.At High Crossing there is a very nasty puddle off to the left side of the road immediately south of the Crossing and headed south.It is totally avoidalble and is used as a play hole.I have no problem with that hole though someone unfamiliar with the area and with no woods savvy could possibly wander into it even though it is usually stagnant an not muddy as a reguarly travelled hole would be so to me it says "Don't come here".I hate it when they dig a canyon in an unavoidable spot and you have no choice but to risk vehicular homicid (of the vehicle) or turn around.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I was out that way yesterday and there was a lifted jeep stuck on the other side of the tracks. Another jeep was attempting to pull him out. It was very very wet in the woods. I was on the motorcycle and could circumvent the deep stuff. Still ended up very muddy. Here is a pic but the camera phone doesn't really show just how dirty things got. It was much muddier (should be a real word) in person.

9542319463_da11d22eb9_c.jpg

Manis Duck Pond was beautiful though and considering the conditions of the roads, I was pretty sure I was the only one around.
9542323829_b8f05891a8_c.jpg

Later on I ran into some guys towing out a broken down truck and lead them out. Concerning the video, nothing illegal there, it is important that we point the finger at those who deserve it.

Jeff

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Anyone know what happened to that group that started up when all the scar hubbub was going on? 'Trail' something? Had a web forum.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Guess I overreacted...getting old I suppose? GET OFF MY LAWN YOU DAMN KIDS!!! I wasn't trying to imply that the mud bogging was illegal-just dumb. Apparently they got the tickets for being in some kind of restricted area that they claim was not signed and that they won't disclose.