This weekend

Went camping with the Scouts in Bass River State Forest this weekend. Weak turnout (only 11 Scouts plus adults, when I was a Scout, 40 kids was a below average turnout), but good times. Friday we drove down and set up camp. Saturday morning there was a hike from Harrisville to the bridge just part Martha, just to break in some of the younger Scouts. We collected a ridiculous amount of trash along the way, we should have brought bigger bags.

In the afternoon, the troop invaded Buzbys. There weren't any people in there when we first entered, so she showed the Boy Scouts some of the highlights of the store. I bought Marilyn's new book and Jack Cervetto's Living With the Pine Barrens, plus some chocolate covered cranberries that the Scouts split up among themselves. I know two of the other leaders found books they had been looking for there, and the Scouts bought a few as well, so it was certainly a worthwhile stop. The cat is still hiding out from the festivel last week =)

After that, we went down to Bricksbrae. That one went over well, the Scouts ran around and had fun and the leaders tried to figure out how the place worked (did that paper on Bricksbrae ever appear?). We had to cut plans to go to Carranza and a few other places due to Boy Scout related activities (we're working on Patrol togetherness, so they all had to go cook). Between the hike and the stops, the Scouts all had their history lesson for the weekend. I even remembed to bring along the Harrisville book so they could take a look at the pictures and charts.

Saturday the young guys played manhunt and the old folks sat around while one of the leaders played Jefferson Airplane on guitar. Sunday, we packed up and went home. A few Scouts went down to a big model rocket launch near Swedesboro, but I went home and did homework. Stupid midterm crunch...

What happened to the site? I am away for a few weeks due to school work and the crossed swords are gone? Other than that, it looks good, but I miss the stupid smilies =)

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Hi Mike,

Scott's paper is in the catalog at the Bishop Building at the Toms River branch of the Ocean County Library. I was there the other day but I was busy researching Lahaway (side note - the people at the Courthouse were pretty rude) so I did not get a chance to check it out.

I got rid of some of the crazy smiles. I might add some more in. Right now I am trying to steer the site into being a more serious place to talk about the Pines.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
No, the link is to the left of the post window.

Code: