Three routine shots combined

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I shot two vultures in a tree at midday near the Gun Branch. Nice, but they weren't that scary. The moon is from a shot earlier this year on the Mullica.
2020-07-06_vulture_moon.jpg

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Hey Rich, nice to see you here. The Facebook upload algorithm seems to seriously degrade images. Even in focus images look out of focus.

While working on this image, I've been thinking quite a bit about what constitutes a photo vs. artwork. Exposure blending, luminosity masking, cloning, the patch tool, compositing, focus stacking, even the Lightroom adjustments seriously complicate and expand what is possible.

I am beginning to think the distinctions are becoming so blurry that they are irrelevant or at least, very hard to define.

Reactions: old jersey girl

RichLewis

Thanks Jon. I've been lurking here a long time but never felt I had anything useful to add. It's a great group with a lot of knowledge.

We've talked before about the distinctions between a photograph and art and it's a big blurry line because digital redefined what photography is and what the camera can actually see. This is a topic we could bang around for a long time.