"Thru-hiking" the Batona

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Shoefly said:
O.K., I am going to put myself at risk once again. I am going mountain biking tomorrow afternoon near the old Amotol Race Track. Since wearing pants is not an option, and it is not recommended to put Deet directly on skin, any suggestions?

Spraying it on your pants should do it. I spray Off on my pants and that even kills them. I should say I have sprayed OFF after I have noticed them and that kills them.

Guy

smadigan

Jul 29, 2005
Self-imposed exile in Philly
I recently saw these chigmums for the first time (I am a NY native). I went on a solo backpacking trip last weekend on the batona. I was trying out a new ultralite packload and figured there was no better place to do it than there. Well, I started at the fire tower off of 70, and headed south on the Batona. Luckily I am an overpreparer, so I had tan pants on and had them tucked into my socks. After about five minutes on the trail I saw this red mass on my leg. I thought, "these are the tiniest stickums I have ever seen". Well, these stickums started to move! I immediately got out the DEET and went to town on them! The all died or jumped off. Needless to say, I spent the rest of my overnight trip on the wider trails in the area! Thankfully none of them stuck around to eat me. What I would like to know is how did so many get on in one spot so quickly?

The rest of the trip was great BTW! I spent the night at the campground and headed out before dawn to amke the 6 mile trip back to the truck. It is amazing hiking through the pines when a full moon is out! Great trip!

Sean

Shoefly

Aug 23, 2005
Atlantic County
I guess it is an option, just one that I do not choose. With the heat and humidity, I just prefer riding in shorts. I may have to reconsider this option, however, to avoid future chiggering:mad:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
smadigan said:
When is chigger season over btw?

They go into cold weather. I seem to remember by the end of October they are gone.

Guy

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
top to bottom on the Batona

I wouldn't quite call doing the Batona "through hiking" being its only 50 miles long, but it is a nice hike from top to bottom. I guess I have done it about five or six times over the years, mostly in the cooler months. It's about two and half days at a quick step, or three if you are slower moving. The best campsite is Lower Forge because of its relative backcountry feel, although if you start at Carranza you can get there in under and hour and a half. While some people rightly pointed out you miss some of the nuances of the Pines on the Batona, because its mostly Green Highway hiking, you still get Apple Pie Hill, Pakim Pond area, Deep Hollow Pond, and Batsto village. With the size of the Pines its really to bad there isn't more remote campsites, legal ones that is. Most are car camping sites, which can be fun sometimes, but not so great if you are looking for a weekend of seclusion and backpacking. Actually I'm going to be doing the whole thing in November with a couple of friends, looking forward to some nice bag nights in the Pines.:)

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
Piney Boy said:
With the size of the Pines its really to bad there isn't more remote campsites, legal ones that is. Most are car camping sites, which can be fun sometimes, but not so great if you are looking for a weekend of seclusion and backpacking.

This is what I've been saying since I started camping in the Pine Barrens 4 or 5 year ago. I hate feeling that every time I camp, it's illegal. I still just go out into places I find on Terraserver that look cool and camp there. One big fine/times illegally camped = $2 fee they charge at the legal ones per night camping.

Justin

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
We don't call it illegal, we call it "stealth camping". Being serious though, it is a problem I think can be remedied with help from a group like The Batona Hiking Club or even the ATC. It really shouldn't be as hard as it is to find nice legal campsites in a wilderness the size of the Pines. Guess its some food for thought.