Tibb's Watering Hole

Oct 25, 2006
I was looking in the historic maps section,and at butler place on rt.72 there is also another designation called tibb's watering place,anyone have any info or history on it?,is it one and the same as butler's place?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
From Place Names in Burlington County by Bisbee:

Tibbs Watering Place: An old "stage stop" two miles West of Butler Place off S-40 (Rt. 72 today) in Woodland. A mile or so further East J. Black ran a hotel at Butler Place. A probable assumption by this writer is that Tibbs Watering Place was simply a spot to water the stage coach horses.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
There is not too much to see there as far as ruins are concerned. Nice cedars in the area. There is a cleared area there that might have ruins..I don't know.

Jeff

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
From Mark Demitroff (interesting analysis, nice that he always includes a bit of culuture):

Are you familiar with Butler Place? I've attached a 1931 aerial photomosaic of the location. A red arrow marks what appears to be an oval enclosed basin. Tibb's Watering Hole may be yet another spung. If it was there, the new highway probably covers much of its remains. Is there any evidence of a depression at this spot?

Ancient paths first linked water resources for aboriginal use. These trails often met on the southeast side of spungs where the topography is typically elevated just a bit by wind-blown deposits. Early settlers in the Pine Barrens later exploited these convenient byways. Early taverns or "watering holes" often established near spungs to refresh livestock. Aren't taverns called watering holes to this day? Who wants to pitch water when a small pond will do?

BUTLER.JPG

Oct 25, 2006
In the future i intend to check out butler's place to see if there is possibly a cellar hole left from the hotel site.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This may have been the map you were looking at. Notice the dwellings there.

butler.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have a 1950 topo map that shows that the recreation area that was on 72 right by Savoy Blvd was called the Butler Place Rec Area. That is much closer to Savoy, and if you compare the stream in the map with where my topo shows the Rec area, there are similarities. In any event the Butler Place Rec Area was here.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.84...spn=0.01135,0.023088&t=k&z=16&iwloc=addr&om=1

I have been there looking around and it is disturbed, but there is no obvious evidence of a former Rec Area at all.

According to Onehand there was at one time a brass monument there.

Guy