Tick`s & Chigger`s

B

bach2yoga

KenDawg said:
I have never heard of Tea Tree Oil either. Are you making this up ? :lol:

health food store or online....

from several websites....of course, the usual disclaimer with herbs...use at your own risk, yada yada yada...

Melaleuca alternifloria Narrow-leafed paper bark tea tree (Ti-tree Ti-trol Melasol)

Due to its unique composition Tea Tree oil displays a number of remarkable properties making a very effective oil for a wide range of complaints. Foremost and what makes Tea Tree outstanding in comparison to other remedies, is that it is active against all three varieties of infectious organisms: Bacteria Fungi and Viruses. Independent microbiological testing has confirmed the effectiveness of Tea Tree oil in fighting infection is further backed up by its ability to protect itself and to respond appropriately.

Description
A tree or shrub with needle like leaves similar to cypress, with heads of sessile pale flowers.

Distribution
Native to Australia. Other varieties have been cultivated elsewhere, but Melaleuca alternifolia is not produced outside Australia, mainly is New South Wales.

History / Traditions
The narrow-leafed paper bark Tea Tree MELALEUCA ALTERNIFOLIA is one member of an extensive botanical family - the Myrtaceae. All plants belonging to this family are aromatic because they have glandular dots in their leaves which, when crushed, release essential oils of varying amounts and constituents. There are a large group of plants in Australia known collectively as TEA TREES. The fact that the same name is commonly used to describe a very diverse and wide spread botanical group of plants has led to some confusion. Also the fact that the essential oil derived from Melaleuca alternifloria has also been called Ti Tree oil, although Ti is the Maori name for the Cabbage tree (Cordyline Australis). Aborigines used a number of tea trees in medicine for coughs, colds. The leaves were crushed and inhaled or soaked to make an infusion. Leaf washes were applied to pains, sores and burns.

Extraction
Essential oil by steam or water distillation from leaves and twigs.

Details of Oil
A pale yellowy-green or water-white mobile liquid with a warm fresh, spicy-camphoraceous odour.

Aromatherapy Uses
SKIN CARE: Abscess, acne, athlete's foot, blisters, burns, cold sores, dandruff, herpes, insect bites, oily skin, rashes (nappy rash), spots, verrucae, warts, wounds.

RESPIRATORY SYSTEM: Asthma, bronchitis, catarrh, coughs, sinusitis, tuberculosis, whooping cough.

GENITO-URINARY SYSTEM: Thrush, vaginitis, cystitis, pruitis.

IMMUNE SYSTEM: Colds, fever, 'flu, infectious illnesses such as chicken pox.
Antiseptic / Bacretrial Properties
Treatment of cuts, burns, insect bites, infected splinters and all kinds of wounds, especially dirty or ones which contain puss. As an antiseptic it is valuable for general skin care, spots, acne and blackheads etc. As a general disinfectant it is especially useful for respiratory or genito-urinary tract infections i.e. bronchitis and sinusitis or cystitis.

Anti-fungal Properties
Tea Tree's effective treatment for ringworm, athletes foot, thrush (candida). It has also been used to combat fungal diseases affecting animals fish and plants.

Anti-viral Properties
Viruses are the invading organisms responsible for most epidemic illnesses. As a powerful anti-viral agent, Tea Tree is effective in fighting many common infectious diseases such as measles, chicken pox, flu, cold and shingles, as well as other viral complaints i.e. cold sores, verrucae and warts.

Immuno-stimulant Properties
It this context Tea Tree is of great value as a preventative remedy to help the body fight off all kinds of infection. Especially important if the body is already in a weakened condition brought on by either stress, illness or the use of antibiotics or other drugs which have lowered the body's natural resistance levels. It can be helpful to those who need to build up their strength before a surgical operation or for those suffering from chronic or long standing debilitating illness. Its possible application to AIDS is also currently being researched.

Blends
Lavandin, Lavender, Clary-sage, Rosemary, Oak moss, Pine, Cananga, Geranium, Marjoram and spice oils, especially clove and nutmeg.

Contra Indications None

Safety
Non-toxic, non-irritant, possible sensitization in some individuals. The strength of Tea Tree oil should be respected and therefore large amounts should never be used neat on the body or in particularly sensitive areas.

Other uses
Tea tree oil is employed in soaps, toothpastes, deodorants, disinfectants, gargles, germicides and increasingly in aftershaves and spicy colognes.

bunnymom3

Explorer
Sep 27, 2003
Waretown
www.geocities.com
I just got a bottle from A&P up the street here. Also Rite Aid sells it too. More and more places are selling herbs. If you want to extract your own Gunning River Herbs in Barnegat sells the trees.

B

bach2yoga

A&P sells it? Wish Shoprite would! Maybe Eckerds does. I have to get mine at Organics or Haars.

B

bach2yoga

BEHR655 said:
Wow! There are still A&P's around? I thought they were kaput.

I've never been in an A&P...we have 2 Shoprites and an Acme. Always wondered why we didn't have Food Lions, they seem to be everywhere else....we don't have a Genuardi's either. Really wish we had a Whole Foods.

Renee

aserdaten

Scout
Jul 26, 2003
Ormond Beach, Florida
Renee,

Down here in Central Florida, the Food Lion stores get in the newspapers quite a bit, and usually not in a favorable light. Apparently poor treatment of employees seems to be the primary reason. I'd better not comment further on the subject, other than to say they are #3 among Florida stores, way behind Publix and Winn Dixie.

B

bach2yoga

We went shopping at one in Virginia while we were staying there. I wasn't impressed with the food selection, and the bakery was lousy. I guess I'm glad we don't have them!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Food Lion was on 20/20 altering the dates on meat and other nasty stuff that was much worse than altering dates.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

BEHR655 said:
bach2yoga said:
Just looked it up..

http://www.apsupermarket.com/

If I counted correctly, there are 107 stores between NJ and NY.

This is what I got when I searchrd for a store in my zip code.
There are no Stores within 30 miles of Zip Code 08109.
Please try another Zip Code.

I just clicked on show all stores. There aren't any near me though.

B

bach2yoga

TeeGate said:
Food Lion was on 20/20 altering the dates on meat and other nasty stuff that was much worse than altering dates.

Guy

that's some nasty stuff...how do they stay in business??

N

neuf08

Tea tree oil is good for tick removal. I also know of many people who dilute it with water and put it on their dog's fur to help repel ticks and bugs. I don't know if it would work as well for people? It's also good for sores, so you could definitely try it on bites. Some people do experience minor skin irritation from tea tree oil though, so I'd try it on a small area of skin first before putting it on a sensitive area. But it does work well for many people, and has so many other uses as well that it's definitely worth trying.

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
I picked up chiggers two weeks ago while hiking around Lower Forge. I always use Clorox to dissenfect, stop the itching and kill the parasites. I've also used this remedy on poison ivy. Friends of mine that hike in the area, also use this remedy.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I have been using clorox to treat poision ivy ever since I was a kid in the 50's. It stops the itch and dries up the blisters.

It just dawned on me that I could use Frontline to kill chiggers. It is used unofficially here in the US and Europe to treat head lice. Frontline is a French product which I use on my dogs and I certainly get it on me.

Looking back, I find it hilarious that I had ticks and chigger attacks too numerous to count. As a little boy I was allowed to put the tick in the ashtray and light its rear end with a lit match to kill it. What a thrill! My mother was an ER nurse, first at Atlantic City Hospital and then Kessler, and she had me apply rubbing alcohol to my bare ankles where the chiggers took up housekeeping, let soak for a bit, then wash off. Always worked for me! So sorry to learn about the destruction of what was a great health care system in the great Garden State, hoping you'll dump Corzine, good luck!

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
It just dawned on me that I could use Frontline to kill chiggers. It is used unofficially here in the US and Europe to treat head lice. Frontline is a French product which I use on my dogs and I certainly get it on me.
Once you know you have chiggers, though, the actual chigger is gone. All that remains is the itchy bite.